Kickapoo day trip – Montreux to Bern

• jackdebear
    Participant
    82 posts
    29 June 2018 at 15:58:28 #816962

I mean to take the train from Montreux to Bern. It’s scheduled for 1 hr 39 min. I want to while away maybe 6 hours along the route not to arrive in Bern so early. Someone on this forum has previously suggested stopping in Gruyere. I don’t imagine I’ll want to spend 6 hours there so I’m looking for other diversions. I see a little walking route from Fribourg station to Poya that is meant to take 1 hr + for example. Question I have is; can I start off from Montreux with a ticket to Bern and make these stops and hikes or do I need to buy tickets individually?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 June 2018 at 19:33:23 #889722

I was going to edit your thread title, but I have no idea what you mean by kickapoo and maybe it is important to the thread so I’ll leave it. 🙂

As long as you are getting back on the same train route/line then your ticket would be valid all day yes.

jackdebear
    Participant
    82 posts
    29 June 2018 at 20:32:02 #889723

The Kickapoo are, or more probably were, an Algonquin tribe. I learned that the name means, ‘wandering around stopping here and there’.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 June 2018 at 7:55:22 #889724

Nice to have a word for that! Perhaps my Canadian history should be better. 🙂

jackdebear
    Participant
    82 posts
    30 June 2018 at 13:07:16 #889725

Yesterday I would have said that apart from you and I there were only a handful of students of American and aboriginal history in the world that know that word. Now I see that there is a a soft drink on the market = Kickapoo Joy Juice. Gotta find that.

Thanks for the train info.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 July 2018 at 12:20:16 #889726

there is a City called Kickapoo in Wisconsin USA.

jackdebear
    Participant
    82 posts
    1 July 2018 at 13:00:28 #889727

I learned the word from Li’l Abner 50 years ago. There were a couple of Indians who wandered around with a bottle of moonshine they called Kickapoo Joy Juice. In the past 50 years I’ve only heard it used once in passing reference to some native trackers in the U.S. south west. I believe there is another separate tribe by the same name. Pleased to see the interest on this forum although it’s gotten pretty far off topic.

• The thread ‘Kickapoo day trip – Montreux to Bern’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10720 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.