Kleine Scheidegg to Mannlichen - hike or cable car

Kleine Scheidegg to Mannlichen - hike or cable car

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
jansparkle
jansparkle
2 posts
Jul 27, 2017 - 9:34 PM

Hi, we are 4 weeks away from our 3rd visit to Wengen. I have a few questions but my first one is.....we are completely terrified of the Mannlichen cable car so have never been up the top.

We manage to go on most of the others around Wengen and Murren but never this one. Is it an idea to walk up the path from Kleine Scheidegg ? Is it enjoyable to walk up or is the incline to steep and we just should close our eyes for a couple of minutes on the cable car ?

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
3820 posts
expert
Jul 28, 2017 - 1:39 AM in reply to jansparkle

Hi jansparkle -

Welcome to My Swiss Alps. You are not the only one who likes Wengen:

www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/tips-about-wengen-and-the-jungfrau-region-by-kim

It is my favorite town in the region, as well.

My suggestion is that you should close your eyes, or, go to Grindelwald and use the cableway upwards with smaller cars. Of course, that might be worse...not sure. If you can ride the cableways up to Mürren, this one should not be all that much harder. (Easy for me to say....;-) )

You can go in the "wrong" direction, as you suggest, but , then, you still have to ride the cableways back down...unless you turn around and walk back the "right" way. Or take a very long downhill walk to Wengen or Grindelwald ( or, Alpiglen, perhaps) on steep trails.

If you go from Kleine Scheidegg to Männlichen you have a modestly uphill walk...about 180 meters elevation change, at 2000 + meters elevation, in about 3 or 4 km. Plenty of people walk it in that direction. It does not have the nickname "The Grannies' Trail" for no reason. You will see Swiss grannies with their hiking boots going uphill at a brisk pace. Tourists...not so brisk. But, it is easier to go downhill at that elevation, unless you are accustomed to the "thin" air.

map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=ech&lang=en&bgLa yer=ch.swisstopo.pixel karte-farbe&layers=ch.bav.ha ltestellen-oev,ch.swisstopo.swiss tlm3d-wanderwege&layers_visi bility=false,true&X=16 1212.06&Y=638893.67&zo om=6

However, what you miss completely if you walk away from the Eiger, even if you pause every few seconds and turn around to look, at the cost of time and a sore neck, is the psychological effect of having the Eiger approach you and tower over you as you walk toward it. You really want to have it in view constantly as you approach it.

It is compelling.

The attached image shows the trail as it nears Kleine Scheidegg, and a magnified crop from it, showing hikers that are only visible as specks in the full image.. It tells you just how overwhelming the Eiger is. (Yes, I know the image is grainy. It was taken a few years ago with a medium called "film." ;-)

Slowpoke.

Please login to see the attached documents
jansparkle
jansparkle
2 posts
Jul 28, 2017 - 11:29 AM in reply to Slowpoke

Thankyou so much for the reply and welcome. Well it looks like we better just suck it up and close our eyes and try not to cry like a baby infront of the other passengers, and take the cable car from Wengen.

We live in Australia but this is my favourite part of the world. Its like my eyes cant get enough of it. I am in awe every time we visit.

Will let you know how we go :)

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
3820 posts
expert
Jul 28, 2017 - 2:07 PM in reply to jansparkle

Hi Jansparkle -

Although those things don't bother me a lot, I do remember that this one feels quite solid. Not a lot of pylon supports that cause the car to swing and sway. Maybe none, or perhaps one that you pass over slowly as you pull in to the Bergstation ( mountain station; top).

Reward yourself for surviving the ascent with a nice cuppa at the Männlichen restaurant before you walk. ;-)

Slowpoke

Please login to see the attached documents
rockoyster
rockoyster
1048 posts
top member
Jul 28, 2017 - 9:09 PM in reply to jansparkle

Hi Jan,

You may already be "full bottle" on Wengen, but may still find this www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/tips-about-wengen-and-the-jungfrau-region-by-kim interesting.

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
3820 posts
expert
Jul 28, 2017 - 10:44 PM in reply to rockoyster

Hi rockoyster

It's got to be good if we both recommend it! ;-)

Slowpoke

rockoyster
rockoyster
1048 posts
top member
Jul 28, 2017 - 10:58 PM in reply to Slowpoke

Note to self: Pay more attention when reading other's posts! *blush*

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2017