Läderach chocolatier and factory in Switzerland

• Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    4 November 2018 at 22:58:27 #818876

Every once in a while, I see questions about chocolate, and usually these are about the Cailler (now owned by Nestlé) installation in Broc, canton of Fribourg. There are two other places which I have not read about on this website, so today I will mention one of these, Läderach Chocolatier, the factory for which is located in Ennenda, just one kilometre to the SSE of Glarus, the capital city of the canton of the same name. It is an 8 minute walk from the Ennenda train station to the factory. Read all about the business at this link: http://www.laederach.com/en/ People can book a tour of the factory by following this next link: http://www.schoggi-erlebnis.ch/en/ennenda / The attached map shows the location of Ennenda (red oval) alongside the Linth River which runs north and empties into the Wallensee.

Here’s what Wikipedia says about Läderach. de.wikipedia.org/wiki/ L%C3%A4derach Sorry, only in German and a small bit if you click on italiano.

This article about Läderach appeared recently in Swissinfo. It is in French and only three other languages, German, Italian, and Portuguese. But I think everybody would enjoy the video.

There are a few videos about Läderach on YouTube which chocoholics might want to search for.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    5 November 2018 at 0:44:31 #898747

Thanks. Useful.

Slowpoke

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    5 November 2018 at 2:34:32 #898748

I must add that I’m no longer a big fan of visiting chocolate factories. I took a group of students to the Suchard factory when they were still in operation in Serrières. The kids loved it, especially at the end when they could sample whatever they wanted, including the famous Sugus soft candy (kind of like your Starburst, but better) which was also produced there.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 November 2018 at 7:25:52 #898749

Thanks Peter, very nice to have some other options for factories!

Arno
    15484 posts
    5 November 2018 at 10:45:58 #898750

Thank you Peterli! For anyone who can’t make it to the factory but does love chocolate: a visit to one of their shops is worth it as well. There are over 30 of them throughout Switzerland.

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    5 November 2018 at 14:59:24 #898751

I’ve got another one coming up.

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    5 November 2018 at 15:49:40 #898752

Hej Arno,

Not only do they have 43 shops in Switzerland (1 in Liechtenstein), but they also have 15 in Germany (including two in Berlin for Lucas) and also some in more distant locations; Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Bahrain, Qatar, the UAE (4 of them), and Korea (6 in Seoul).

Arno
    15484 posts
    5 November 2018 at 16:10:13 #898753

Wow, live is good in Seoul apparently!

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    5 November 2018 at 16:58:56 #898754

Yeah, and I used to hear about Saudi princes flying to Switzerland just to buy chocolate. So now it looks like they can stay in their own country or shop in the Persian Gulf area and so reduce air pollution.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    5 November 2018 at 17:51:39 #898755

<<“so now it looks like they can stay in their own country or shop in the Persian Gulf area and so reduce air pollution.”>>

So very thoughtful and ecologically positive of Läderach!

Slowpoke

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    5 November 2018 at 18:55:27 #898756

So do you think ecological concerns were foremost in their decision to set up shop in the Gulf ?

If Kim Jong-un gets a bit more cosy with his neighbours to the south, maybe he’ll be able to pop down to Seoul to satisfy his cravings. No doubt he developed these as a school-boy in CH.

• The thread ‘Läderach chocolatier and factory in Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.