Lake Constance what to do there for a day?

• Jo
    Participant
    14 posts
    26 April 2018 at 1:47:03 #815536

We are spending a week in Kanderstag and a week in lauterbrunnen. Wondering if we can fit in a trip to Konstanz ( and see the Falls on the way?) If necessary, we could spend a nite in Zurich as to cut down on travel time. Would this work? Ideas for where to go/what to see in the area? We have traveled to Switzerland many times and travel with the Swiss travel pass. Thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 April 2018 at 9:37:04 #883263

Hi jo and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Yes, you could go to Lake Constance if wish – it is all about how much travel time is ok for you. Use the Swiss railways timetable to plan out the trip and see what options you have.

As for what to do there, it will depend on where you arrive. Boat cruises and Mainau island are, I think the most popular activities, as well as swimming and other water sports.

Have a look at this site for details: http://www.bodensee.eu /en/what-to-experience/lake-constance-highlights/top-experiences

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    26 April 2018 at 10:42:02 #883264

What attracts you to Konstanz which is in Germany? It’s not the first place I’d put on my list for a day trip from Lauterbrunnen.

Stein am Rhein is probably a better fit for a trip to Rhine Falls.

Jo
    Participant
    14 posts
    26 April 2018 at 20:18:50 #883265

Thank you both for your comments. We only picked Konstanz of the map – since we have limited time in zurich for short trips, I thought seeing Bodensee would be nice. But we have never gone to the Falls either so which would you recommend? Also, is it worth leaving our holiday apt in lauterbrunnen one night early and stay over by bodensee or the Falls?

thanks again

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 April 2018 at 2:36:20 #883266

I’d stay in Lauterbrunnen – if you want a lake trip look into Lake Brienz or Lake Thun which are quite close to Lauterbrunnen.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    27 April 2018 at 3:39:25 #883267

If you are looking for scenery the Bodensee is not the place to find it unless you go to the south east where you can see the alps in the distance. Around Konstanz it is by and large as flat as a pancake.

The Rhine Falls is an interesting experience but not worth spending the best part of a day getting to and from. My opinion.

Stick to the local lakes as Lucas suggests or do a day trip to Lucerne.

Jo
    Participant
    14 posts
    27 April 2018 at 3:59:09 #883268

Thank you both. We will stick to enjoying Thun & Brienz lakes.

is it worth a train trip to see the wine country up from Vevey? We have been to Vevey, Montreaux,but did not get a chance to look around the vicinity much.

TThanks again

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    27 April 2018 at 4:05:47 #883269

Can’t help with that Jo. I have yet to make it to the “French-side”. It’s on the list for the next visit.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 April 2018 at 5:49:42 #883270

I am like you and haven’t explored the wine region there but only Montreux itself. I’d say take the Golden Pass route there (if you haven’t before) from Interlaken and check it out. If you’ve been there a few times but not seen the vineyards I think its time. 🙂

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    27 April 2018 at 17:26:46 #883271

Hi Jo,

First, you have not stated when you will be in Switzerland for this visit. You say you have been to Switzerland “many times” before but do not mention where you have visited on previous visits (except for Vevey and Montreux). Kandersteg and Lauternbrunnen and lakes Thoune and Brienz are all in one part of one canton, Berne. If I was in Switzerland, even after many previous visits, I’m not sure I would want to spend two full weeks only in Kandersteg and Lauterbrunnen, as lovely as they both are, unless my only desire is to ascend some peaks and do a lot of hiking. If you are interested in Romandie, the area Rockoyster refers to as “the French side”, the entire shore of the lake (Léman in French), as well as Gruyères, Fribourg, Morat, Lausanne and even Neuchâtel are there to discover. The lake cruises on the Léman are very scenic, and you can even go over to the side that is in France. Yvoire is a place over there not to be missed.

May I assume that you have not been much in the north or north-east of Switzerland ? If so, a visit to the Rheinfall in Neuhausen and the very photogenic town of Stein am-Rhein could easily be done in a day. But I would not do this as a day trip from Lauterbrunnen. Close to Konstanz is the Island of Mainau. Well worth a visit !

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    27 April 2018 at 18:18:34 #883272

<<“We are spending a week in Kanderstag and a week in lauterbrunnen.”>>

When?

Where do you come from. Have you seen both Niagara Falls?

<<“Ideas for where to go/what to see in the area?”>>

<<“‘I’m not sure I would want to spend two full weeks only in Kandersteg and

Lauterbrunnen, as lovely as they both are, unless my only desire is to

ascend some peaks and do a lot of hiking.”>>

What do you like to do? Why do you visit Switzerland?

That can guide some advice.

I spend a lot of time “on the French Side” and Peterli lives there. But, my reasons for being there might not match your interests.

Of possible interest –

http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king/lutry-epesses

If I were to go back to the Bodensee still again, I’d go back to Friedrichshafen for the Zeppelin Museum:

http://www.bodensee.eu/en/wha t-to-experience/map-of-lake-constance/zeppelin-museum-friedrichshafen_poi69

Slowpoke

Jo
    Participant
    14 posts
    29 April 2018 at 0:04:59 #883273

Thank you very much for your very helpful comments. We will definitely take the lake cruise and experience the French side.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    29 April 2018 at 1:06:49 #883274

Hi Jo-

When you travel can make a considerable difference for the experience in different regions of Switzerland.

Many transport modes have different schedules for Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall.

Tourist density varies with time of year,and many high trails can be blocked by snow, while Spring is well along at lower altitudes.

Hikes near Kandersteg are in that class.

Slowpoke

For further help, we ought to know when you are traveluing.

Of course, you may not need further help. 😉

Slowpoke

Jo
    Participant
    14 posts
    29 April 2018 at 3:50:59 #883275

We will be in Switzerland in mid-September. We enjoy easy walks, manlichen to Kliene Schidegg, isenfluh to lauterbrunnen, Gemmi Pass from Kanderstag, Wengen to Lauterbrunnen, Adelboden walks, etc. Just thought maybe it would be fun to try something new. The Emmental, perhaps? Thanks again!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
  • The thread ‘Lake Constance what to do there for a day?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.