Lake Geneva Regional Pass – which buses covered?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 April 2016 at 8:06:29 #808807

I’m having a little difficulty working out on which which bus services the Lake Geneva Regional Pass is valid. A few of the Post Bus services are shown on the validity map, and there’s a specific note that the Viileneuve-Vevey route is excluded from the offer. But I can’t find anything about the remainder – how about Montreux or Lausanne local services, or the Villeneuve-Aigle bus? Any information – or links to existing information – most welcome! Thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    5 April 2016 at 8:49:26 #850298

Welcome to MySwissAlps!

The pass should include all buses within the region on the map, with the exception of the one you mentioned, and local services in Lausanne (only the M2 metro down to Ouchy is included, you can find that on the same map). Local buses in other towns along the red lines are included. Although you probably won’t need a lot of local transport. Most towns, like Vevey and Montreux, are pretty small so best explored on foot.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 April 2016 at 9:33:58 #850299

Thanks, that seems logical. The Villeneuve-Aigle bus is operated by the same company that runs the local train services which leave from Aigle, so I’d expect that to be included (but couldn’t find anything in the Regional Pass brochure to confirm that). Doubtless there’s some history behind the exclusion of the Villeneuve-Vevey service, if the other VMCV services are included. Given that some of the Montreux suburbs are high above the city, the occasional local bus might be needed! Although a number of those are also served by train, thankfully.

Arno
    15471 posts
    5 April 2016 at 9:55:40 #850300

Sometimes private local transport services choose not to join a regional or national pass. Quite confusing and inconvenient for travelers, but that’s still the way it is. I’m not sure where you stay but if it’s Montreux or anywhere in that region you’ll receive a free Montreux Riviera Card to travel in the region (see here). So I suppose if one card does not include a particular bus, the other will. The card is for a much smaller region than the regional pass, but it is quite useful for short rides. Many other towns, including Geneva, have similar free transport cards for tourists.

• The thread ‘Lake Geneva Regional Pass – which buses covered?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.