Lake Geneva/Zermatt/Lauterbrunnen/Lucerne late May

• Jcmcmanj
    Participant
    7 posts
    19 May 2022 at 16:03:49 #827230

We were interested in getting input on our trip that begins around the last week and ½ of May. We are tentatively doing the half pass and super saver/advance tickets for some of the solidified train trips. Are we missing any amazing hikes? Are these multiple hikes feasible? We decided to forgo some of the bigger tourist attractions on purpose – let us know if you strongly oppose this:)! Of note it seems like majority of Zermatt is closed when we are there:( If you’ve been any have any must go restaurants please let use know as well. Any input/recs are greatly appreciated!! Thank you all for input!!

Day 1: Geneva to Lutry

land in Geneva – train to Lutry; vineyards hike

Day 2: Lutry to Zermatt

Train to Veytaux, Switzerland to visit Château de Chillon, Train from Veytaux to Zermatt check in explore Zermatt town

Day 3: Zermatt

Hike Gornergrat – from Gornegrat to Riffelberg – gondola back to Zermatt

Hike Saumerweg – gondola to glacier paradise – gondola back to Zermatt

Day 4: Zermatt to Lauterbrunnen

Hike 5 lake hike – return to hotel, train to Lauterbrunnen

Explore Lauterbrunnen? – explore Interlaken ? – hike Schynige platte ?

Day 5: Lauterbrunne/Interlaken region

Hike valley loop Lauterbrunnen – Gimmelwald – Mürren – Grütschalp – Lauterbrunnen

From Murren take gondola to Schilthorn

Return hike stop at Trummelbach falls

Day 6: Lauterbrunne to Lucerne

Hike Wengen– Männlichen – Kleine Scheidegg

Return to Lauterbrunnen catch train to Lucerne and explore Lucerne

Day 7: Lucern

Boat to from Lucerne to Vitznau hike Mt Rigi? Or go to Mt Pilatus ?

Day 8: Lucern to Zurich

train to Zurich catch flight home

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 May 2022 at 17:50:34 #942058

Hi Jcmcmanj,

end of May you can still visit Klein Matterhorn and Gornergrat (my personal fav). There are nice hikes between Gornergrat and Zermatt, I highly recommend them. Also Sunnegga and Blauherd are accessible from 26 May. Or do you mean the shops and restaurants, that they will be closed? I would not worry, off-season only means fewer tourists (and some snow while hiking). 🙂

The Grindelwald First to Schynige Platte hike is a great one: http://www.myswissalps.com/hiking/first-schynigeplatte.

I am not sure how much stamina you have but 2 hikes on day 4 might be too much. 🙂

Day 6 will be a long day, but it is doable.

I think that your itinerary is OK, I recommend the Swiss Half Fare Card for this trip or the Swiss Travel Pass.

Do not over plan so you can stay flexible – if you have 1 fixed plan for a day, and several others, then you have the option to choose according to the weather or your mood etc.

I hope this helps,

Ildiko

More about the Jungfrau region: http://www.myswissalps.com/jungfrauregion

More about the Lake Lucerne region: http://www.myswissalps.com/lakelucerne

Jcmcmanj
    Participant
    7 posts
    20 May 2022 at 16:02:31 #942059

Thank you!

well be in zermatt may 27-29 (1 full day).. im concerned about our hikes, the routes will be technically closed but are they doable? I know that’s pending weather but without a random snow or poor weather, doable??

And is a stop to Kandersteg/oeschinen lake from zermatt to Lauterbrunnen something we should make work out?

Anna
    6355 posts
    20 May 2022 at 18:03:41 #942060

Hi Jcmcmanj,

You can check the status of the trails in Zermatt here: http://www.zermatt.ch/en/Media/List-Tours/Hiking-trails

According to the Zermatt website, in general you can access all the trails, even the closed ones, but at your own risk. For safety, I would stick to trails that have been groomed and cleared for use.

A stop in Kandersteg enroute from Zermatt to Lauterbrunnen is certainly recommended if you have time. Please use the SBB timetable to plan your journey.

Regards,

Anna

disantor
    Participant
    28 posts
    20 May 2022 at 23:38:20 #942061

Your itinerary looks exhausting. Pace yourself. You would know best what works for you. I used to see a town a day, now I stay 3 nights per place and see more in each spot. One thing that has allowed me to cover more sites in less time has been cycling! I mention in case you would find it helpful. I mention this because my favorite spot in Switzerland is Lauterbrunnen valley — and you could cycle there. We stayed in Murren. I could spend a week there.

We rented mountain bikes for a few days (interboden, the bike store in valley) and biked all over the valley to Trummelbach falls, etc. Adults can also get e-bikes — including some very fancy dual suspension ones. We had a blast. We took our bikes on the cable car from valley floor to Grutschalp, and biked into Murren. We also biked to Gimmelwald (steep) and into another town and took a small cable car. My kids did the Grutsch trail (not recommended unless you are a very serious mountain biker). Spouse and I stuck to gravel road.

Schilthorn and Birg (stop below it) were nice. Hike Wengen– Männlichen – Kleine Scheidegg –> this was so beautiful. It takes some time to get there and do the hike (from where we were in Murren). We hiked that portion.

I just wanted to let you know about the cycling idea if it would be of interest and perhaps allow you to use different muscles than hiking. The valley is flat — so you don’t need to take it on the cable car or train.

Have fun

• The thread ‘Lake Geneva/Zermatt/Lauterbrunnen/Lucerne late May’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.