Lake Lucerne boat ride costs and 1st class upgrade

• Mel
    Participant
    34 posts
    30 May 2018 at 9:02:11 #816322

Hi!

We plan to go Mt Rigi using the boat to and fro at the beginning of April next year. We won’t be holding the Swiss Pass, just the Swiss Half Fare Card. Meaning we still need to pay for the boat tickets, albeit at 50% off.

I found the boat fare on the website:

1. From Lucerne to Vitznau CHF27

2. From Weggis to Lucerne CHF19.60

QUESTIONS

1. Above fare is before the 50% discount?

2. I presume above is the 2nd class fare..? How much for each trip if we buy 1st class ticket, after 50% discount?

3. Is it worth it getting the 1st class ticket? If we just buy the 2nd class ticket we won’t be allowed on to the deck at all, right?

4. I read there is also a ‘Walking and Cityboat (hop-on, hop-off) ticket. What does this ticket mean?

Tq, Mel

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2018 at 14:36:18 #886816

Hi Mel,

1. Yes. The Swiss railways timetable: https://www.myswissalp s.com/timetable shows you prices with the Swiss Half Fare first. For example, it shows Luzern to Vitznau by boat to be around 13.50 one-way
    2. Yes 2nd class. Click the red buy button on the timetable and it will show you 1st class prices
    3. The top deck on boats are typically for 1st class only.
    4. I’m not sure. It would be separate from the Swiss Half Fare Card discounts – probably offered by a private tour company. Do you have a link to show us?
    rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    31 May 2018 at 7:01:02 #886817

Hello Mel,

If you get on a boat with a 2nd Class ticket and you really find the top deck super appealing you can buy a class upgrade on board. Chances are for such relatively short trips you won’t bother.

• The thread ‘Lake Lucerne boat ride costs and 1st class upgrade’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.