Lake Lucerne & mountain tour booking

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 April 2018 at 21:11:56 #815535

Is it best to book the Independent Lake Lucerne Tour with Funicular into the mountains in advance; or is it safe to wait until I am in Lucerne. I would prefer to wait and be able to judge the weather.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    25 April 2018 at 23:01:45 #883260

Hello Sando and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

I’m not sure which tour you mean but “independent” implies you are doing it yourself, rather than with a tour company, so no need to book.

The only funiculars that are adjacent to Lake Lucerne are the one to Burgenstock or the one from Trieb to Seelisburg.

You’re not getting confused with the cog-wheel railway to Rigi or Alpnachstad to Pilatus are you?

When are you travelling?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 April 2018 at 23:49:11 #883261

Thank you so much for your response. First of all, yes, I was talking about the the cog-wheel railway. I had seen that there were tickets advertised for independent touring, meaning you could wander on your own rather than being on a guided tour. That ticket was advertised at $122. Do you have an opinion as to which is more scenic: Rigi or Alpnachstad to Pilatus? We will be in Lucerne March 31 – April 3, 2019. As you can see, I’m in early planning stages and quite uninformed. Thanks for any advice you can offer.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    26 April 2018 at 0:20:58 #883262

Hello Sando,

The cog-wheel to Pilatus does not normally start operating until late May. You can still reach Pilatus by cable car.

Rigi is free with the Swiss Travel Pass (http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass) so you would recover almost half the price of the pass on that excursion alone.

Once you have worked out an itinerary you should read “How to choose the best travel pass” (http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass), download the handy spreadsheet calculator and do the math.

April is sort of between seasons in Switzerland so a lot of tourist facilities close in April. You may just catch the tail-end of the winter season.

• The thread ‘Lake Lucerne & mountain tour booking’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.