Some details about Lake Thun boat trip

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 November 2019 at 14:13:43 #824381

Hi,

I am interested in Lake Thun boat trips, i have a few questions.

1. I will be leaving from Interlaken West,

• Are there multiple options for the destinations of the boat trips?
    • How long will be the trips?
    • Any advice?
    • Should I be heading back on train or round trip boats?

2. I was told that there will be restaurants on boat,

• Will it only be available for some trips?
    • Do I need to / Where should I book it?
    • Is it just like a formal restaurant or just food kiosk on ferry?

3. Will there be difference for 1st class / 2nd class tickets?

Thanks, Woody

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    5 November 2019 at 18:33:40 #924692

Good evening Woody:

1. Timetables and other information here: fahrplan.bls.ch (click on the boat icon top left)

2. Information on on-board catering here. http://www.bls.ch/en/fahren/u nterwegs-mit/schiff/gastronomie

You don’t have to book a table in advance, but once on board go to the restaurant and reserve a table.

3. There is a difference, or more than one. 1st class costs more; the first class section is usually on the upper deck. 2nd class is normally quite allright, but might be more crowded depending on when you do the trip. Both classes have access to the restaurant. It is not necessary (and maybe not possible) to reserve seats.

If you have further questions tell us when you plan to come (right now, for instance, there is no boat service on Lake Brienz), and how many people, of what ages, are in your party.

Also see:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/bo atlakethun

CabinJon
    Participant
    280 posts
    5 November 2019 at 20:33:15 #924693

Based on the SBB timetable, it looks like there are two boats running on Lake Thun, alternating directions of travel. The trip is listed at 2h 12m, with 10 stops between Interlaken West & Thun, and the same going in the reverse direction.

I have not been on the Lake Thun boats but the boats I’ve taken on Lake Lucerne had small restaurants that served an abbreviated menu of “real” food, not just prepackaged food. I never needed to book a trip in advance, just buy a ticket or use the Swiss Travel Pass. There is a difference in price for 1st & second class tickets. 1st class is usually for the upper deck, at least the Lake Lucerne boats I rode.

Returning via boat or train is up to you. The train will get you back in 28 minutes, and costs considerably less if paying for tickets. The STP covers either one.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 November 2019 at 1:27:00 #924694

The main Thunersee (Lake Thun) boats all follow the same pattern of stops, which you can see in the current 2019 timetable:

http://www.fahrplanfelder.ch/ fileadmin/fap_pdf_fiel ds/2019/3310.pdf

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 November 2019 at 1:28:35 #924695

I have not been on the Lake Thun boats but the boats I’ve taken on Lake Lucerne had small restaurants

However Lake Thun boats are mostly quite a bit smaller than most of the Vierwaldstättersee (Lake Luzern) boats as it’s a much smaller lake

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    6 November 2019 at 2:12:51 #924696

<<“However Lake Thun boats are mostly quite a bit smaller than most of the

Vierwaldstättersee (Lake Luzern) boats as it’s a much smaller lake”>>

And, as you note, they have little service in the Winter. In contrast, there is a fair amount of service all Winter long on the Vierwaldstättersee.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Some details about Lake Thun boat trip’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.