Transportation around Lake Thun Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 February 2018 at 0:27:49 #814524

Hi All!

I will be in the Jungfrau region between the dates of May 4 and May 8. One of the days I have on our itinerary a trip on Lake Thun, to Oberhofen Castle (I know it’s not open yet, we’ll play outside) and to St. Beatus Caves then back to Interlaken in hopes to catch a sunset at Harder Kulm.

Since we are still in ‘spring’ season, I see that the Lake Thun boat schedule, especially between these destinations, is pretty limited.

Can you help me find the best way to make this happen?

I have already determined I can’t take the boat from Interlaken to either destination in the morning as it doesn’t run til 12:00 per my understanding of the timetable.

When I googled ‘Interlaken to Oberhofen Castle’ it shows a train and bus route around the bottom of Lake Thun, through Thun and down to Oberhofen (51 minutes), or a direct bus route from Interlaken to Oberhofen along the top of the lake (48 min).

Meanwhile, when I search SBB timetables, It shows me a 2.5 – 3 hour trip with 5 stops to get from Interlaken to Oberhofen. Can you help me figure out how to take the shorter trip?

Then, if I am reading this correctly, I can take a 13:03 boat from Oberhofen on to Beatushöhlen-Sundlauenen and will arrive at 14:17?

That should give me enough time to explore the St. Beatus Caves and then take a 25 minute bus ride back to Interlaken Ost and proceed to Harder Kulm.

Thank you so much for any help you can provide!

Lana

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    27 February 2018 at 2:50:45 #877295

Hi Lana,

The sping ferry timetable comes in 30 March. See goo.gl/aY3qbg and page down until you get to the spring timetable. There are boats earlier than midday.

Are you looking for Oberhofen a. T., Dorf? The bus from Interlaken West is showing as 41 minutes from Interlaken West to there on the SBB Timetable. You may have searched for a different Oberhofen.

• The thread ‘Transportation around Lake Thun Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.