Last Golden Pass train from Montreux June 1

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 May 2018 at 9:20:22 #815924

We arrive Geneva Airport at 3pm June 1 then hope to travel by train to Interlaken. Would like to take transit to Montreux and catch the Golden Pass. It looks like last Golden Pass leaves before 4pm so we would likely miss it. Am I reading the train schedule correctly or is there a later Golden Pass train from Montreux to Interlaken? Thanks for help.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 May 2018 at 17:46:00 #885023

Hi Tfisch,

There are trains running on the Golden Pass route until 21:14. You want to pick a train on the timetable running via Zweisimmen so you follow the correct route.

Due to line construction you probably won’t be on any panoramic trains. There is a bus replacement service for a short portion of the trip and most if not all panoramic trains are not running.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 May 2018 at 11:20:38 #885024

Thanks Lucas. I examined the entire route from Geneva Airport to Interlaken on Friday June1 after 3pm and found the route including the Golden Pass train. Thanks for your help! However, Due to the long route and construction it appears we would have to change trains/busses about 6 times with our luggage, and some exchanges only allow a few minutes. Would also take 5 hours and have us arrive arrive in Interlaken after sunset. I also noticed that some of the trains seem to be very crowded (probably due to Friday rush hour) because they showed 3 red persons in second class in the icons for the trips. So I started looking at trains with fewer stops and faster times from Geneva airport to Interlaken that are not the Golden Pass. Many of them after 3 pm look very crowded too. When looking at tickets, it seems liike they expire at 5 am the next day. This led me to believe that they are not necessarily for a specific departure time on June 1. But I could not find a clear explanation. If our plane is late or our luggage delayed or we just need orientation time, can I buy 2 second class tickets now for travel from the Geneva Airport to Interlaken and board any train from the airport that afternoon, once we are ready to board? Or must the ticket be purchased now for a specific train at a specific time, which we may miss? Or if we purchase the train tickets at the airport once we have our baggage, does rush hour crowd mean trains would be full or would have to stand up for long periods. We are in our 60’s in good health so some standing is fine. (Also, where do we put our 2 larger suitcases on the train?). We are not in a huge hurry but would like to try to arrive in Interlaken before dark since we are rookies at all this. If we can buy the 2 tickets for second class now, I would likely first buy the half price pass and then buy the 2 tickets (and later use the 1/2 price pass for travel around interlaken, probably purchasing the regional pass for that area, unless you see some big problem with that) Your advice on how to purchase tickets for travel during Friday afternoon rush hour along this route would be appreciated (now avoiding the Golden Pass unfortunately). Some flexibility due to our lack of control over flight and luggage, and our first time on Swiss trains would be an advantage if the tickets allow a flexible departure from the airport once we have our bags and locate the trains. We ok spending a bit more for the peace of mind of having some flexiblity and seat guarantee during this Friday afternoon rush since I created a bit of a challenge. I wish now that I had not arranged the flight to arrive during rush hour but we are stuck with it. Thanks for advice.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 May 2018 at 12:16:37 #885025

Hi Tfisch,

Some trains can get very crowded on Friday afternoons. Geneva airport is the end station so you will be the first to board. I’ve done many Friday afternoons on the train (sometimes with a large and small suitcase) and I never had to stand up and never had a problem with my luggage. There are enough seats. Each carriage does have space for suitcases. You will be fine.

True, your train ticket isn’t for a specific departure time. So you could buy a ticket now, but there are also ticket machines at the airport. You can buy the Swiss Half Fare Card online: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isshalffarecard/price.

We don’t know the exact itinerary and activities that you have in mind. but the Jungfrau Travel Pass could be something for your stay in Interlaken. We have information on our website on how to choose the best rail pass: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 May 2018 at 14:04:36 #885026

Thank you Chantel. Big relief to know we will be among the early passengers and can buy ticket once we have our luggage at the airport and expect few problems. Should I assume that there are always second class seats/tickets for every train departing Geneva airport late Friday afternoon?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 May 2018 at 15:36:20 #885027

Yes, always. Also, the Swiss Federal Railways constantly monitor how many passengers travel. So during rush hour they make sure they have enough coaches so everyone can have a nice journey.

Well, I might see you on the train as I’m traveling from Geneva airport as well.

Bon voyage!

• The thread ‘Last Golden Pass train from Montreux June 1’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.