Last minute 10-day Swiss trip! Itinerary advice

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Nik
Nik
2 posts
Apr 24, 2018 - 2:52 PM

Hi,!

We (husband & wife) just had a last minute opportunity to travel to Switzerland (in 4 days!) and are frantically pulling plans and logistics together. We'd have 10 free days, starting from Zurich and ending in Lausanne (where work starts). I would appreciate any advice about itineraries. We find an equal number of people praising travel by car and by train - any advice on this will be great as well.

Our interests are in treks, scenery and rural settings; and we prefer smaller places to big cities.

Many thanks

Nik

Chantal
Chantal
944 posts
top member
Apr 24, 2018 - 5:56 PM in reply to Nik

Hi Nik, and welcome to MySwissAlps,

You don't have much time left to plan your trip. I can give you a few ideas to get you started.

I would go to Lucerne, then to one of the smaller villages close to Interlaken (Wengen or Grindelwald) and via the Golden Pass to Montreux which is close to Lausanne. When you click on the links you can read about the activities you can do and accommodation.

My recommendation would be to travel by train. You should read 'How to choose a Swiss rail pass' however given the time left before you leave, you might not be bothered about doing the math. A good option for you would be the Swiss Travel Pass, especially when you're planning to visit some mountain tops as you will get discounts with this pass.

Read the following webpages as well:

I hope this helps.

Arno
Arno
11571 posts
expert &
Apr 24, 2018 - 7:23 PM

Yes, I would seriously consider the trains as well. You can easily reach many smaller places by train too. You may find this interesting: www.myswissalps.com/ca rversustrain.

You can print the Swiss Travel Pass at home to avoid waiting time and to have a handy electronic backup to print again if needed. I wouldn't buy later than tomorrow. Here are the options: www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/price.

Peterli
Peterli
679 posts
top member
Apr 25, 2018 - 2:10 AM in reply to Nik

Hi Nik,

You say that "work starts" in Lausanne, so my first question is how long are you going to be working in Lausanne ? Are you going to have opportunities to travel after your work starts in Lausanne ? Are you going to purchase a car while in Switzerland ? If so, why not do this as soon as possible and use it to travel for at least some of the 10 days you have before you start work ?

If you want to do some exploring by train, why not use some of the time to visit some areas of Switzerland that are further away from Lausanne, such as the Grisons (aka Graubunden) and north-eastern Switzerland ? Or perhaps the Tessin (Ticino) which is the Italian-speaking part of Switzerland ?

Hopefully your work in Lausanne will be for a good amount of time so that the two of you will be able to use weekend and holidays to explore and get to know all of Switzerland.

Nik
Nik
2 posts
Apr 25, 2018 - 7:11 AM in reply to Nik

Hi Chantal, Arno & Peterli,

Many thanks for taking time to help. Great advice and I'd dive into them quickly to prepare properly to savour this beautiful country. If there are other thoughts, keep them coming!

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018