Last minute Glacier Express booking

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 November 2018 at 4:15:19 #819044

I’m trying to book a Glacier Express from Chur to Brig for Saturday, December 1st, but it appears that I am having issues booking this since it’s “last minute”.

Is there any way to get this booked?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    28 November 2018 at 5:33:40 #899619

Hello Lastminute99,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! What issues do you have? You could try via https://www.happyrail. com/en/pass/europe/swi tzerland/passholder-fares-glacier-express. They’ll send it via email so shipping won’t be an issue. Otherwise you can visit a staffed train station as soon as you’re in Switzerland. If the train isn’t fully booked by then, they’ll be able to sell you the seat reservation.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 November 2018 at 8:52:08 #899621

Thanks for the reply. The Glacier Express website was only showing me Dec 9 and onward, but Happy Rail looks good, thanks! Now I’m trying to figure out exactly what combination of things I need to be able to book the “Passholder fares – Glacier Express”. It looks like I need a pass already, in conjunction with that. I’m thinking I can use the “Swiss Travel Pass Consecutive” with the “Passholder fares – Glacier Express”. Or, could I use the “Swiss Half Fare Card” + “1-Day Travel Pass” + “Passholder fares – Glacier Express”?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 November 2018 at 8:57:26 #899622

Thanks, although I need to go from Chur to Brig and this seems to end in Milano?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    28 November 2018 at 10:09:29 #899623

Oops, sorry I read Bernina for Glacier. Just ignore me.

Arno
    15483 posts
    28 November 2018 at 11:54:57 #899624

Hi Lastminute99,

I didn’t consider your date, but that’s actually the issue you’re having. The Glacier Express does not operate then, please see http://www.myswissalps.com/gl acierexpress/gettingth ere under “Dates of operation”. If you order through Happyrail they’ll get back to you with that news too.

You can still do the trip though, on regular trains without a reservation. They’re included in the Swiss Travel Pass. A Swiss Half Fare Card will work too if you buy a discounted ticket. The 1-day travelpass won’t be needed if you’re just traveling Chur to Brig. A regular discounted ticket will be cheaper.

Both the Swiss Travel Pass and Swiss Half Fare Card can be purchased online and will be e-mailed within minutes. I’d consider these options for quick delivery:

If you opt for the Swiss Half Fare Card then you can buy the ticket online or at any staffed station. I’d opt for the latter in this case, because it’s last-minute and because you need a ticket for this specific route instead of the longer and more expensive route via Zurich that might be quicker.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 November 2018 at 1:32:13 #899625

It’s simple, the Glacier Express doesn’t run between late October and the 2nd week in December

It doesn’t matter – you can take the normal train. (and you don’t pay the supplement – just the regular fare – its a win win!)

RegioExpress (RE) Chur – Disentis/Mustér train every hour depart Chur at xx.56

Change at Disentis into Matterhorn Gotthardbahn (MGB) train Disentis – Andermatt

Change at Andermatt into another MGB train Andermatt – Brig

• The thread ‘Last minute Glacier Express booking’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.