Last minute Switzerland trip – planning help

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 May 2018 at 9:55:37 #816041

Hi,

So we are doing everything at the last minute. We are relocating out of Paris and wanted to do a Swiss tour before we leave. Our relocation was finalized only a month before and hence the last minute plans (We have been busy wrapping up and selling our belongings, vacating the apartment). We are planning to fly to Zurich from Paris tomorrow night, My plan is as follows:

Friday night: Arrive in Zurich at night

Saturday morning: Rhine falls and then travel to Lucerne

Sunday : Mt Pilatus

Monday : Mt Rigi or titlis?

Tuesday: Travel to Zermatt (Andermatt to Zermatt: Glacier Express). Do Matterhorn

Wednesday: Zermatt to Interlaken (Trummelbach falls/ Lake Thun Boat trip including St Baetus Caves)

Thursday: Jungfrau Day Trip

Friday: Schilthorn

Saturday: Travel to Montreux (Walk in the promenade). leave Montreux for Geneva at night

Sunday: Sightseeing in Geneva: Evening flight back to Paris

We are planning to buy the swiss travel Pass from Saturday to Saturday. I have the following questions regarding my plan:

1. Would it be possible for me to get seats on Glacier express for the trip from Andermatt to Zermatt. I can upgrade to first class if required.

2. Is there any scenic routes in my plan or any particular boat trips that I should try to incorporate in my plan;

3. What are the tickets that I should concentrate on buying since we don’t have much time;

4. Do i need reservations for any particular leg of the journey since i would be buying the swiss travel pass

Am i doing everything in vain and just cancel this last minute trip. I believe the Golden pass line is not working till June 1 and i really want to do the Glacier express or any other scenic routes if possible. I would be travelling with my husband and 4 year old. Do all the trips to mountains have any storage area for storing the strollers or bags?

Thanks a ton! I am under so much stress due to this last minute trip I am not sure whether we would be able to make it though I really want to.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 May 2018 at 10:12:45 #885525

Also, if i try to book my travel from one city to another, it doesnt give me an option to select Swiss travel Pass. Does that mean I cannot make the bookings before hand under the pass. We have a four year old who would want to sit and hence the reason I am asking. Can i not make the local travel booking under the pass?

Also for the Glacier Express from Andermatt to Zermatt, I dont see the option of Andermatt to Zermatt but only the other way round.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 May 2018 at 11:08:02 #885526

Ok, so I was trying to book the boat trip on Lake Lucerne for Saturday (May 19) (Isn’t it covered under the Pass?). However, it is showing all booked till May 26th (http://www.viator.com/tours/L ucerne/Lake-Lucerne-Panoramic-Sightseeing-Cruise/d576-6400SAPHIR) ! Do i need to book the tickets if I have the Swiss Travel Pass or I can just walk in and take a seat. If i need to book that means I cannot do the Lake Lucerne Boat ride :(! Is this the only lake ride available?

I saw another one with Indian dinner but that is also booked for the days we are there.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 May 2018 at 11:19:23 #885527

So i figured this out. Looks like we would be able to do the boat trip as per this time table. The time that works for us is 19:45 (Kehrsiten- Burgenstock) in Pier 3.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 May 2018 at 11:51:48 #885528

For our 2nd day in Lucerne, I am planning the Mt Pilatus trip. In this I understand the following:

1. Up: We will take the train from Lucerne to Aplnachsted (free under the Swiss Travel Pass). From there we will take Cogwheel train upto Mt Pilatus (I believe this is 50% covered under the pass. Do i need to purchase tickets for this in advance and if yes from where? )

3. Down: Take the cable car to Frankmuntegg (do i buy the tickets as i understand this is not covered under the pass). From there Gandola till Kriens (again not covered under the pass). And then bus to Lucerne from Kliens (covered under the pass).

Do i buy the tickets now for Sunday or it should all be purchased on the spot. Is it easily available or should i check the availability form some place so i can see whether this trip is possible or not.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 May 2018 at 15:45:37 #885529

Hi Isha,

I’ll try to hit all your questions in order:

1. You must reserve seats on the Glacier Express – there may not be any seats available at the last minute. You can also travel on the same route on a regional train – no reservations needed
    2. From Zermatt to Interlaken you can travel via Montreux and take the Golden Pass route or via Brig and go via Kandersteg – both quite scenic. But your day looks pretty busy so you may not have time to do everything – use the timetable to plan out the trips.
    3. .If you have the Swiss Travel Pass you don’t need to buy any tickets for most routes. No reservations are needed except the Glacier Express if you take it (just hop on the train you want and go).
      You do need to buy tickets for Pilatus and Titlis if you go (The Swiss Travel Pass doesn’t cover the route fully but you can buy the tickets at the mountain). Check the coverage area of the Swiss Travel Pass here.
    4. You don’t book tickets from one city to another with the Swiss Travel Pass – they would be free trips
    5. No advanced purchase is needed for Pilatus.
    6. The Swiss Travel Pass gets you 50% off the tickets up and down Pilatus. Buy a round-trip at Alpnachstad and tell them you are returning via cable car

I think that got all your questions – let us know!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2018 at 18:46:30 #885530

Thank you so much Lucas for all your help and guidance. I have two more questions (we delayed our trip by one day so we are leaving tomorrow instead of today).

1. I took the Swiss Travel Pass and selected the option of 0-15 years for my son under the http://www.happyrail.com website. However, the printable tickets that they have sent me shows only mine and my husband’s name. I have already written to them thrice asking whether this is the standard procedure and whether our son can travel with us in this scenario but haven’t got a response. Please let me know if the child’s name and details should also be mentioned on the pass. On the website, i was asked to fill in details like my child’s name, passport number and nationality. However, the pass does not reflect any of this. If this is not the normal procedure, what can I do the get the passes rectified? If there is any way, I can get his name incorporated.

2. We have decided to take Montreux out from our trip (we would be taking the route you suggested which includes montreux) and travel directly from Interlaken to Geneva on our last day. What is the best route for the same?

Thanks a ton in advance for all your help. I don’t know whether i would have been able to do anything without this site!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2018 at 23:57:44 #885531

>> I would be travelling with my husband and 4 year old … I took the Swiss Travel Pass and selected the option of 0-15 years for my son … the printable tickets that they have sent me shows only mine and my husband’s name.

Children aged 0-5 travel free in Switzerland. They do not need any ticket or pass, or to be mentioned on their parents’ passes.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2018 at 23:59:57 #885532
    1. Best route from Interlaken to Geneva? Most scenic is on the Golden Pass route via Montreux and the fastest is via Bern.
  • The thread ‘Last minute Switzerland trip – planning help’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.