Late March trip to Switzerland – trip planning

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 October 2017 at 5:15:40 #813561

Hi

We are an Australian family and since i was a little girl i wanted to see the Swiss alps. We will be visiting the area on 31st March 2018 for about 3-4 days (not sure how long we need). We are doing a 7 week Europe/UK holiday.

I am needing help i have been researching but since we have never been over it is all getting overwhelming for me.

So we are going to be flying from Paris to Switzerland but i am unsure where into (Bern)?? Then i have had a look to get train to interlaken east then a shuttle bus to Gimmelwald?? I guess i just want to see a beautiful scenery to admire, jungfraujoch and sthilthorn but not sure what else. Would probably like to go on a cable car i have 2 children 13 and 14 with us.

Should we be going to Lucerne at all? I am reading so many mixed reviews i just dont know what to do.

Where would we fly out of to Italy or can we get a train?

Sorry for so many questions it is all a bit daunting.

Thankyou for any help you can provide me.

X

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 October 2017 at 6:53:17 #871235

Hi Cattro and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Depending on ticket costs, I would usually recommend taking the train from Paris to Switzerland. You would first arrive in Geneva or Basel depending on what town you want to first visit.
    If ticket prices are much lower than the train then by all means fly. Bern doesn’t get many flights (small airport) so you will probably find flights to Geneva or Zurich.

Another note, is that late March, early April is still ski season here in Switzerland (for mountain trips) it ends usually around the first week of April. So you will be able to head up into the mountains but snow will stop you from doing much walks/hikes.

The Jungfrau region is where you will want to head to (Luzern, I think is great. But for only 3/4 days I would stay in the Jungfrau region only – see activity options for this region here).

A town like Lauterbrunnen or Wengen are very popular to stay at. Trips from there to Jungfraujoch or Schilthorn will be no problem. It is a train you take to Jungfraujoch and cable cars get you to Schilthorn.

Be sure to read through the links above to read more about tickets, overviews and how to get to each destination.

As mentioned about getting to Switzerland, I would also train to Italy (trains are really the best option in Switzerland). You can use the Swiss railways timetable to plan out the trips into and out of (and around) Switzerland.

For an overview of Swiss rail pass options click here, and if you need some help picking the best rail pass click here.
    At that time of year, regional passes for the Jungfrau area aren’t valid (summer only) so the country-wide Swiss Travel Pass is what you should consider I think.

I hope that helps you get started on your trip plans. Let us know if you have more questions!

• The thread ‘Late March trip to Switzerland – trip planning’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.