Is Geneva safe after midnight, with a baby?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 April 2018 at 11:36:19 #815322

I will be travelling to Switzerland in May end and will reach Geneva by flight at around 11PM.

Fullfilling the immigration formalities and collecting the baggage will take around 2-3 hours. The queries are :-

(1) Whether it will be safe to exit the airport in late night?

(2) Is public transport or private taxi safe and easily available?

P.S. : I will be travelling with my 5 month old baby.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 April 2018 at 15:39:54 #882245

Hi Faaltuemail2 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

While anything is possible, I’d be shocked if it took you more than an hour to collect bags and go through immigration.

Yes, in general, Geneva and Switzerland is quite safe. Are you just heading to downtown Geneva?
    You can find train schedules on the timetable here. If there aren’t any running by the time you leave the airport taxis will be available yes.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 April 2018 at 15:56:04 #882246

We will be heading to Hotel.

dianesher
    Participant
    33 posts
    14 April 2018 at 17:07:35 #882247

Hi there!

I’m no expert here but I’m traveling/arriving around the same time you are by end of May and I posted similar question on this forum.

I gathered from the experts’ responses that you can hail a cab outside arrival area.Cab fare can range between CHF40-50 going to the city center.

Another option is to take the local bus ( TPG) OR the train. I suggest that you email the hotel you’re staying and ask the nearest bus stop or the Bus# you can take from the airport to your hotel—the hotel can give you useful information. Also, you can get a guest travel card at the airport after claiming your luggage where you can to take the bus for free.

In our case, luckily there’s a bus that goes direct and a few meters walk to our hotel. If and when customs baggage claim takes longer and we’ll miss the bus, hailing a cab would be an option.

To the experts, please feel free to correct me:):)

Good luck to you, safe travels to us:)

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    14 April 2018 at 18:21:23 #882248

@Faaltumail2

Hi, I live in Geneva. To answer your questions :

1) Yes, you can exit the airport safely.

2) Yes, there are cabs right as you exit the arrival level.

GVA airport is a small one, and as Lucas pointed out, immigration and luggage recovery should take less than an hour. Baggage handling is fast, esp. So late when there are few incoming flights.

• The thread ‘Is Geneva safe after midnight, with a baby?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.