Late snow hiking alternatives Grindelwald & Gstaad

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 May 2019 at 11:43:10 #821658

Hello! My small family (hubby, 3 year old and I) will be in Grindelwald on the 24th of May for 5 days followed by Gstaad for another 5 days (and then on to Courmayeur)

With the late snow this year, it looks like a lot of the higher up mountain hiking might be out for us (the webcams at Grindelwald First are still showing a lot of snow!)

What are the must do/scenic hikes that will be doable in this area (ie open trails, closer to the valley floor, not closed due to snow). I am assuming most if not all of the hikes that involve cable cars will not be an option? We did a lot of hikes using the cable cars last year in Austria and LOVED it but sadly this year we could not travel in warmer weather.

My husband carries the toddler in a hiking carrier so we can do day hikes quite comfortably. Look forward to hearing your suggestions! We have a car so can be fairly mobile in terms to getting to hike starting points etc!

Many thanks in advance!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    15 May 2019 at 15:33:36 #912422

Hi Brownsofa, and welcome to MySwissAlps,

Since you are going to Grindelwald anyway, and will have the hiking gear with you, I suggest you don’t worry at this stage.Just focus on your trip, and enjoy it the best you can (I’m sure you will!)

Once in Grindelwald, check in at your hotel and feel comfortable. Once well settled, go to the tourist office, near the train station (if your hotel is in the village, it will be a nice stroll, otherwise there are local buses, and I understand your hotel will give you a bus pass for the duration of your stay). The tourist office will give you the most reasonable advice, much better than I (from Geneva) or any other Forum participant could tell you.

I would not be surprized if they told you to take the First gondola to the Bort station (half way between Grindelwald and First) from where there are nice hikes on the sunny side of the valley.

Forecasts are now (Wed 5-15) available until May 20 here (scroll down and after Local forecasts, under “Zip code and city” enter “Grindelwald“). If it rains and if that cools down your ambitions, you might just “hike” on the paved low-traffic road of Terrassenweg, towards Bussalp.

Check out this, too.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfrauregion/activitie s

Mark
    Participant
    794 posts
    16 May 2019 at 0:07:44 #912423

Hi Brownsofa

Snowman is right, the local tourist office in Grindelwald will have the most up to date information. I would specifically ask about the trail from Grindelwald to Alpiglen or perhaps Alpiglen to Kleine Scheidegg. Kleine Scheidegg to Wengernalp may be possible as well. Very likely Lauterbrunnen valley will be clear. These are all nice hikes. hiking around the lakes in Interlaken is an option as well.

Mark

• The thread ‘Late snow hiking alternatives Grindelwald & Gstaad’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.