Lausanne or Geneva as a base for activities?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 May 2019 at 9:08:27 #821374

We will be arriving Zurich at 8.45 am and then we have choice to stay either at Geneva or Lausanne for 2 days. After that we will stay at Interlaken for 4 days. Near Geneva we plan to cover Chaplins World, Olympic Musuem, Lake Geneva and Maison Cailler factory given we have kids. We will be buying STP. I am wondering whether I should prefer staying at Lausanne since many of the attractions are near as compared to Geneva. Your expert guidance will be helpful as to whether I should stay at Lausanne or Geneva.

Thanks
    Vishal

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    2 May 2019 at 9:20:18 #911245

Hi Vishal, and welcome to MySwissAlps!

There are many interesting things in Geneva, but, since none of those is on our list, I suggest you stay in Lausanne if your alternative is Geneva or Lausanne.

Note that, except the Olympic Museum, all other items are east of Lausanne, or are also available east of Lausanne (Lake Geneva). So you could also consider staying at Montreux or La Tour-de-Peilz.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 May 2019 at 9:42:56 #911246

Thanks for the prompt response.
    If time permits, I have kept Patek musuem and Palais de Nations as optional. Also let me know any major attraction in Geneva I should do because I have just started reading the forum and website.

Regarding stay, we are 2 families and require kitchen so there are no reasonably priced options available in Montreux. My dates are from May 24 to 26.

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    2 May 2019 at 10:51:13 #911247

< I have just started reading the forum and website >

I suggest you check out the “Trip Report” section of the Forum. You’ll find out that several travellers reduced their ambition (i.e. the number of locations they planned to “cover”) in order to avoid that their trip becomes a rushing ordeal.

Palais des Nations and Patek Museum are at quite different locations in Geneva. The public visit of Patek is on saturdays at 2:30 pm only (in English).

Another interesting place in Geneva is the International Red Cross Museum (near the UN building).

< we are 2 families and require kitchen >

That’s your choice (my own choice is to taste the local food in the countries I visit), but it will somehow use up time for grocery shopping, cooking and dishwashing (unless you leave that to the ladies…). If you have religious or ethnic dietary requirements, you might (I don’t know…) consider the 10 Indian restaurants in Lausanne, the 5 in Montreux, etc. The choice is even wider if you just want vegetarian meals, most restaurants offer such a choice.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 May 2019 at 11:30:11 #911248

I will go thru the trip reports and the IRCM site. Re food., yes there are dietary restrictions hence we prefer a kitchen. This many times restricts our choices but we are used to it.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 May 2019 at 12:46:40 #911249

Hi Vishal,

It looks like your base would be best Lausanne or Montreux for the activities you want to do. Here are links to all of them:

I hope you know kids may be able to travel for free with the Swiss Travel Pass, here is more information: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw issfamilycard

To find accommodation that includes a kitchen, you can view rental suggestions here http://www.myswissalps.com/la usanne/rentals

All the best on your travels.

Maria.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 May 2019 at 14:25:14 #911250

Thanks Maria. I will go through the links. Although late, i am trying to read as much as I can given my trip starts from May 24. Will ask more questions as I progress with my itinerary.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 May 2019 at 15:10:01 #911251

Upon checking out from hotel in Lausanne and going to Interlaken, I would like to use the Golden Pass Line. May I know the route and any useful tips since we will be 8 people travelling with luggage.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 May 2019 at 20:28:51 #911252

Hi again,

Golden Pass – great choice! You can read all about the route here: http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass

All about luggage: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/practical/luggage

Hope this helps in your planning

Maria.

• The thread ‘Lausanne or Geneva as a base for activities?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.