Lausanne to Montreux to Lauterbrunnen

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 August 2017 at 9:40:42 #812957

Hello,

I’d be grateful for some advice on our 7 days in Switzerland. We are coming from Paris and wanted to start in Lausanne, stay in Montreaux and then move a little further along – I really want to see Lauterbrennan and some of the smaller towns – we’re not necessarily hiking. We have a 13 year old, (who loves chocolate). We love scenery, architecture, food, museums, history, food. We need to return to Lyon afterwards. Should I also add Berne or Lucerne to this trip? We will be arriving on Oct 2. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated – the more I research, the harder it seems to limit ourselves and make decisions.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 August 2017 at 7:49:55 #868318

Hi Billee and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Bern and Lucerne are both nice towns. If you are looking for a city trip I would pick Bern. Lucerne is also great and has some great nearby mountain attractions but you may have had your fill in Lauterbrunnen.

For 7 nights in Switzerland I would look at 1 night in Lausanne, 2 nights in Montreux, 3 nights in Lauterbrunnen and 1 night in Bern. You could even stay in Montreux 3 nights and make a day trip to Lausanne if you like.

There is the Cailler chocolate factory that you can visit from Montreux (and take the Chocolate train there as well if you like). From Montreux to Lauterbrunnen I would travel on the Golden Pass route to Interlaken and then on to Lauterbrunnen.

On your return to Lyon, your train will most likely travel via Bern so you could add a day and/or a night there.

Read through my links above to read more about what there is to do in each town and where to stay. Hopefully that gets your trip planning started. Also, be sure to use the Swiss railways timetable to help plan all your trips around the country.

We also have a page here about Swiss rail passes that you will want to read through as well. The Swiss Travel Pass for the adults and the Swiss Family Card (free add-on) for your child probably makes the most sense for you.

Lucas

• The thread ‘Lausanne to Montreux to Lauterbrunnen’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.