2 nights in Lauterbrunnen – Switzerland

• sreraku
    Participant
    68 posts
    27 February 2018 at 22:26:40 #814545

Folks

Atlast, I booked all my hotels, did lot of research (thanks to internet, knowledge is never ending), I am planning the following.

I have booked hotel in Lauterbrunnen for 2 nights in 2nd week of oct. Will be arriving from Lucerne.

Day1: Arrive from lucerne, checkin to the hotel(staubbach), go around the town, falls and relax.

Day2: Cable car to Grütschalp-train to Mürren-cable car to Schilthorn. Does this take the entire day? Or would it be possible to finish this in 1/2 day?

Day 3: Want to do Männlichen – Kleine Scheidegg hiking as part of Jungfrujoch trip. Do I do M->K or K->M? I hear the food in K from where we can take train is better.

We have to leave in the evening of Day 3 to Paris.

Is there any changes you suggest for the above so that I can do the above 3? Appreciate your help.

Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    27 February 2018 at 23:31:35 #877381

Day 2 – A very nice circuit to do is to Grütschalp (cable car), Mürren (cogwheel train), Gimmelwald (cable car), Stechelberg (cable car), Lauterbrunnen (bus). In between Stechelberg and Lauterbrunnen the bus stops at the Trummelbach Falls. Well worth a look.

Including a round trip Mürren to Schilthorn the trip takes around 2 hours travel time depending on connections. So it should be possible to do it in half a day if you allow 2 – 3 hours for sightseeing along the way.

sreraku
    Participant
    68 posts
    28 February 2018 at 1:26:47 #877382

Thanks Rockoyster.

So, in that case I can swap day 2 and day 3 as I feel the Jungfrujoch with a hike needs full day.

The change in the Day 2 that you mentioned makes sense but I dont see Schilthorn. I have to add that too unless it doesnt make sense.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    28 February 2018 at 2:08:42 #877383

I said “Including a round trip Mürren to Schilthorn the trip takes around 2 hours travel time depending on connections. So it should be possible to do it in half a day if you allow 2 – 3 hours for sightseeing along the way.”

So starting at Lauterbrunnen the circuit includes Mürren and the trip to Schilthorn from Mürren is included in the travel time I mentioned. You can do the circuit clockwise or anti-clockwise. Anti-clockwise is best. The drop off as you descend from Gimmelwald to Stechelberg is well worth experiencing.

Regards your hike plans have a look at the tail end of this thread http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/permalink/gq yFnqDW9mqS6v8AAFcRTQ with post from Slowpoke.

Mark
    Participant
    794 posts
    28 February 2018 at 12:09:28 #877384

Hi Srearku

Regarding day 3. You will want to take the cable car from Wengen to Männlichen then hike to Kleine Scheidegg where there are several restaurants. From KS you would take the train to Jungfraujoch. Mark

sreraku
    Participant
    68 posts
    28 February 2018 at 21:48:10 #877385

Pardon my ignorance, But, rockoyster, regarding the trio to schilthorn, I see one route as per http://www.swissholidayco.com /Public/Assets/User/fi les/Map-of-Jungfrauregion1.jpg. ie I see Grütschalp (cable car), Mürren (cogwheel train), stechelberg, gimmelwald, to schilthorn and while coming back from schilthorn, are you saying, get down at stechelberg to take the bus. Is it?

Thanks once again.

Thanks Marki for the note.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    28 February 2018 at 22:05:17 #877386

Yes. Go up via Grütschalp and down via Stechelberg. It might be clearer if you look at the route on the Area of Validity map ( PDF downloadable from http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity).

sreraku
    Participant
    68 posts
    1 March 2018 at 2:12:53 #877387

Thanks Rockoyster. This will help

• The thread ‘2 nights in Lauterbrunnen – Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.