Lauterbrunnen after the Tour du Mont Blanc

• Debra
    Participant
    156 posts
    17 February 2017 at 17:05:17 #810842

I am hiking the TMB in mid July then plan on taking the train to the Jungfrau region, camping in Lauterbrunnen as a base for day hikes. I have 22 days total in Switzerland including the TMB. Do you suggest changing base camp areas to access other hikes or stay in Lauterbrunnen the whole time? I probably have about a week in that area. How long of a train ride is it back to Geneva airport from the Jungfrau area? Should I stay close to the airport the day of departure? If so where? Thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15482 posts
    18 February 2017 at 8:50:06 #859120

Hi Debra,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! There are plenty of hiking trails in the Jungfrau area to keep you busy for a week or even multiple weeks. So I’d recommend to stay put in Lauterbrunnen and do day trips from there.

Traveling times can be found in the timetable. Whether you need to stay close to the airport depends on what time you need to be there. If you need to stay close you’ll find suggestions here: myswissalps.com/geneva airporthotels.

Does this help to start planning?

Debra
    Participant
    156 posts
    18 February 2017 at 15:37:28 #859121

Yes thanks, however I could not get the itinerary for the rail system to work in order to figure out which pass if any to choose. It all said system unavailable. Is there any camping in the area besides camping jungfrau? What is this campground like, it looks nice? I hesitate to spend all my time in one campground but if that is best then that’s what I’ll do.

Arno
    15482 posts
    18 February 2017 at 16:39:54 #859122

Hi Debra,

Perhaps there was a temporary problem, but I just tried the timetable and it works fine now. It also shows prices. You can compare passes as explained here. If you mostly travel short distances the Swiss Half Fare Card might be your best option.

Of course you can change base, but with only a week I wouldn’t because I’d loose half a day just for the change. I can’t help. I think there’s a camping in Grindelwald as well but I don’t know much about it.

• The thread ‘Lauterbrunnen after the Tour du Mont Blanc’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.