Lauterbrunnen and Schilthorn area pass advice

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 June 2016 at 9:25:41 #809574

My first post, looking forward to visiting Switzerland soon. We are staying in Lauterbrunnen for 3-4 days in July. We would like to visit the Schilthorn and Murren area. Also Mannlichen/ Grindelwald and Thun boat trip if possible. I am thinking a Swiss half fare card is probably best but maybe combine with a Murren/Schilthorn 4 day holiday pass although this doesn’t cover Mannlichen or boat trip. Has anybody got a better idea?? Thank you in advance.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    30 June 2016 at 11:07:03 #853651

Hello Larrylamb, thanks for your first post!

Where are you coming from and going to? You may want to include these transfers in your pass as well. Anyway, the holiday pass you mentioned seems to cover a very small area, so you won’t have much flexibility if the weather doesn’t cooperate. Please have a look here:

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 June 2016 at 12:48:09 #853652

Hi Arno,

We are travelling by campervan and staying 4 nights at Camping Jungfrau, Lauterbrunnen. We would like to check out Schilthorn, Trummelbach waterfalls, Lake Thun and Mannlichen if we have time so wondered on the best price options for the mountains etc, maybe just buy the half price card? This will also be valid on the local buses and the Lake. I thought the Murren/Schilthorn 4 day holiday pass might be worth puchasing as well so we can have 2 days exploring / walking near Murren and visit Schilthorn. This is also valid on local buses (Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg). Thanks.

Arno
    15471 posts
    30 June 2016 at 13:15:03 #853653

Hi Larrylamb,

In that case the Swiss Half Fare Card is indeed a good idea. The additional holiday pass is discounted for Swiss Half Fare Card holders, so if you expect to use it extensively it might indeed save you money.

I would recommend to purchase the Swiss Half Fare Card as soon as possible as you can still buy at the old rate of GBP 85. They may increase prices soon because of the dropped exchange rate. To do so, you can visit http://www.swisstravelsystem. co.uk?currency=GBP. After filling out your address, they will show the delivery options. Pick “Online Ticket” from the bottom of the list. They will e-mail the cards within 1- 3 business days (no delivery fees), so you can print it at home.

More purchased options are in the Price tab of the Swiss Half Fare Card I gave you before. What’s covered is in the “Where it’s valid” tab.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 July 2016 at 4:09:05 #853654

Dear Arno and Annika,

So happy I found this forum!

I would greatly appreciate some help:

My15-year-old son and I are arriving at Zurich airport at 16:10 on 04/08/2016. We need to leave airport asap to get to Murren in time for hotel checkin. Pretty sure I figured out how to do that by research and reading your forum and SBB timetables.

So here is my dilemma–I am considering purchasing a 4-day Swiss Travel Pass. If I bought it online and had it with me when landing in Zurich, would that pass ensure free train trip from Zurich to Lauterbrunnen–then in Lauterbrunnen would I need to buy Lauterbrunnen BLM tix to get to Murren via Grutscalp (sp?) cable car and Murren BLM train? When I attempted to see pricing online for Zurich to Murren, they showed reductions available for Half-Fare but no Swiss Travel Pass reduction? Is this because if I bought the Swiss Travel Pass, my son and I could just jump on board train in Zurich airport without reservation or seat assignment and we would be free–and so the SBB booking system is unnecessary for us and good just to check for timetables?

As we will be in Murren/Schilthorn/Lauterbrunnen area a few days, I am also wondering if it is worth it to add Schilthorn Holiday Pass for me (don’t think my son needs one as not only is he 15, but we were in Lauterbrunnen less than a year okay and he has Junior Karte as well) as it would allow multiple roundtrip stops on cable cars and even with Swiss Travel Discount it looks like it will get pricey fast.

Also , with the Swiss Travel Pass, we could then catch train out on 06/08/2016 to Luzerne for one night and next morning (07/08/2016) train from Luzerne to Zurich–I think the last one I will just need to pay for out of pocket–or would we still be covered by 4 day pass as we won’t activate it until 16:40 on 03/08/2016?

Thanks for reading this long note! I appreciate any and all help you can give very much!

We are so happy and so excited to return to beautiful Switzerland–I never thought we would be able to return and actually make it up to Schilthorn but this time we will–and hopefully a lot more savvy about Swiss Travel Passes etc.!

Lisa

Arno
    15471 posts
    2 July 2016 at 6:24:05 #853655

Hi Lisa,

Welcome! I’m glad you found us too! Can you please post your questions in a new thread here? This is Larrylamb’s thread. Thanks!

• The thread ‘Lauterbrunnen and Schilthorn area pass advice’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.