Lauterbrunnen and the Schilthorn by car

• needforsneed
    Participant
    36 posts
    13 April 2018 at 16:56:15 #815306

Hi Everyone!

As I mentioned before we are driving from Lucerne to Lauterbrunnen for a day trip – we would like to see the Staubbach and Trümmelbach Falls and we would like to go to Gimmelwald, Murren and the Schilthorn.

What would be the best way to make this happen? Where is a good place to leave the car? Any other suggestions? We have been to Wengen and the Jungfrau previously so wanting to do something different.

We also want to allow time to explore Spiez and Thun before heading back to Lucerne.

Thanks!

Mark

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    13 April 2018 at 21:53:52 #882175

Hi Mark,

Leave the car at Lauterbrunnen and follow the very nice circuit to Grütschalp (cable car), Mürren (cogwheel train), Gimmelwald (cable car), Stechelberg (cable car), Lauterbrunnen (bus). From Mürren go up to Schilthorn and back. Don’t mis the Thrill Walk at Birg. In between Stechelberg and Lauterbrunnen the bus stops at the Trummelbach Falls.

needforsneed
    Participant
    36 posts
    14 April 2018 at 12:39:54 #882176

Thanks Rockoyster! So then do you recommend going up thru Grutschalp and down thru Gimmelwald? Approximately how long would it take to do that loop? I know there would be variables depending on how long at each stop, but just wanting to get an idea of how long to allow. The Thrill Walk looks incredible! …THRILLING even! 🙂

I found some good info on this site: schilthorn.ch/

Including a nice summer map: schilthorn.ch/cmsfiles /SommerGuide_2018_d_e_ f_web_1.pdf

Thanks,

Mark

Arno
    15484 posts
    14 April 2018 at 15:09:42 #882177

Hi Mark,

I would go up via Stechelberg/Gimmelwald but it really doesn’t matter very much. I find that cable car going up slighter more interesting than going down. You’ll find further details here: http://www.myswissalps.com/sc hilthorn/gettingthere

needforsneed
    Participant
    36 posts
    15 April 2018 at 3:58:46 #882178

Arno – what do you think time frame-wise to go from the car parked in Lauterbrunnen up to the Schilthorn?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 April 2018 at 8:36:18 #882179

Hi Mark,

It won’t take you more than one hour to get up. You can plan your trip by using the Swiss timetable: http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 April 2018 at 10:42:47 #882180

Hi, I plan to drive around Switzerland and visit Murren on one of the days. Does anyone know what is the cost of parking at the Lauterbrunen parking garage?

Thank you in advance

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 April 2018 at 13:31:36 #882181

If you are just looking for a few hours or half-day it isn’t too much – a fair few parking lots around. I believe I spent about 5/6chf for a few hours last summer.

Parking garages often have a minimum # of days to stay and cost around 15-17chf per day

Arno
    15484 posts
    22 April 2018 at 16:15:14 #882182

Hi Keeperaisyu,

You’ll a link to the garage on http://www.myswissalps.com/mu rren/travel under “More on other websites”.

• The thread ‘Lauterbrunnen and the Schilthorn by car’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.