Lauterbrunnen as base to explore Jungfrau region?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 November 2018 at 19:18:01 #818872

My daughter and I will be visiting Italy first, then Switzerland late June/early July 2019. I’m pretty sure we will stay in Lucerne to explore that city and also use it as a base for daytrips to Mt. Pilatius and Mt. Titlis. From there we would like to head to the Bernese Oberland area. I’m thinking Lauterbrunnen would be the ideal base. (We will be renting a car). We want to take the Jungfraujock train (both routes), walk an easy-moderate trail (perhaps Panoramaweg to Kleine Schiedegg or another trail), ride up to Schilthorn for the views/skyline walk/thrill walk, hear cowbells and see the cows, tin toboggan ride, perhaps a waterfall close by and just get outside and soak up the beautiful scenery. Would Lauterbrunnen be the best hub for accommodations based on what we’d like to do? Any advice, suggestions are much appreciated. We are very excited in planning this.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    5 November 2018 at 0:03:58 #898732

Hi one4islands-

You’ve outlined a thoughtful plan.

How much time do you expect to have in Switzerland?

The later in June, the better, for the high alpine part. Luzern, at lower altitude, is more forgiving.

Winter does not completely disappear (or, at least, sufficiently diminishes), at the 2000-2300 meter level of the proposed walk until sometime on or usually after June 15.

Lauterbrunnen makes good sense as a hub. It is a logical fit to your interests.

However, I am biased toward Wengen. And, being up above the valley allows some terrific views.

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/tips-about-wengen-and-the-jungfrau-region-by-kim

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 November 2018 at 7:55:26 #898733

Hi one4islands,

I think any of the towns noted on our Jungfrau region page should do nicely for you: http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfrauregion

Each town has links for hotel recommendations as well, once you decide on the town.

I like Lauterbrunnen and Wengen is also a very popular choice.

For ideas and details on activities and hikes you can do in the region, look here: http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfrauregion/activitie s

As you travel into the mountains, you’ll need to use some trains and cable cars. You might want to consider a Swiss Half Fare Card to save money on those tickets. Read more here: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isshalffarecard and use the Swiss railways timetable here to plan out trips to mountains or car-free towns: http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 November 2018 at 10:44:22 #898734

Thank you two for your input, it is greatly appreciated.

In my post I state that we will be renting a car, that is incorrect. We will not be renting a car and plan on using trains and buses as our mode of transportation.

We will definitely be purchasing some sort of rail pass, I need to get a set intinery and choose what works best for us.

Originally I was thinking Murren or Wengen would be great bases mainly for the spectacular views, but after a but more planning I think Lauterbrunnen may be a wiser choice, but I could be wrong. We want to take several different trips up the mountains using trains and cable cars from different starting points, so I thought Lauterbrunnen would be smarter as we wouldn’t have to go back down from Wengen or Murren to go upward on a different route. I need to spend more time researching the trips I’d like to make and where I would catch the cable cars/trains.

We think we will be arriving in Switzerland the last few days of June through the beginning of July. At this time, I’m hoping for two nights in Lucerne and three-four in the Jungfrau area. I’d love to take a longer train ride, the Glacier Express, but it doesn’t seem to fit into our plans or the area we’re traveling. There’s so much to see and not enough time and money.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    5 November 2018 at 11:15:56 #898735

<<“Lauterbrunnen makes good sense as a hub. It is a logical fit to your interests. “>>

It is a very personal choice. Basically, I rate the constant exposure to the stunning views from Wengen as well as the general character of the village to override your correct and logical fit of logistics to Lauterbrunnen. The few extra trips up and down down to Lauterbrunnen don’t trouble me. I like the ride.

It does take quite a bit longer to get down to Lauterbrunnen from Mürren than from Wengen, , which is one reason that I prefer Wengen instead. But, that is just my perspective. And, there can be times when those extra 20 minutes or so, plus a wait for the train, can be important. For instance, if you are coming back to your hotel a bit late, have chosen to take their meal plan to save money, and are just on the edge of the time window to fit their schedule. 😉

Happened to me last time I stayed at the Bellevue/Wengen. Probably the best views in the village, exceptionally well run, good value for the money in my opinion. I’ve learned that they have a good kitchen and their cost for a room with meals provides a good value. But, they tend to be a bit fussy about guests being there when they are cooking and serving. 😉

If I had chosen to eat at a different restaurant, at a higher cost for a nice meal, I’d not have had that problem, of course. Then, the extra minutes would not have made much difference.

Since I really like to go up to Männlichen for the walk to Kleine Scheidegg, and photography (attached) , Wengen is a good base for me.

http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king/maennlichen-kleinescheidegg

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Lauterbrunnen as base to explore Jungfrau region?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.