Lauterbrunnen for one night or directly to Murren?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 April 2018 at 20:12:34 #815374

My friend and I will be traveling for 6 nights in mid June. Our current itinerary has us with 2 nights in Lucerne, a stop in Lauterbrunnen to enjoy the waterfalls, town, and hiking, then 3 nights in Murren. I’m wondering if the 1 night in Lauterbrunnen is worth it, or if we should add a night to Hotel Eiger and spend all 4 in Murren and visit Lauterbrunnen from there. I’m not sure if there will be enough activity in Murren to keep us busy in the evenings (we like to find a nice pub or bar to meet other travelers and chat), so thought a night in Lauterbrunnen may give us some variety there. Input is appreciated! Thanks, Kristie

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 April 2018 at 7:38:51 #882478

Hi Kristie,

I would go straight to Mürren for the simple fact that I don’t like to stay in a hotel for just one night. I’m not familiar with Mürren’s nightlife. I don’t think it’s really vibrant.

Arno
    15484 posts
    17 April 2018 at 8:29:50 #882479

Yes, I second that, also because the two towns are only 25 minutes apart. You can easily visit both from one base.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 April 2018 at 1:47:39 #882480

Hi Kristie,

>> My friend and I will be traveling for 6 nights in mid June… I’m wondering if the 1 night in Lauterbrunnen is worth it, or if we should add a night to Hotel Eiger and spend all 4 in Murren and visit Lauterbrunnen from there.

I agree with Chantal and Arno that you should stay all four nights in Mürren.

If you go down to Lauterbrunnen in the evening, be aware that the last cable car/train connection from Lauterbrunnen to Mürren via Grütschalp leaves Lauterbrunnen at 20:35.

You can get back to Mürren later if you take the bus from Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg, then get the cable car from Stechelberg to Mürren. You will then have an easy, fairly level walk of around 15 minutes to the other end of the village where your hotel is.

The last bus to Stechelberg leaves Lauterbrunnen at 23:26, and connects with the cable car at 23:45, getting you to Mürren at 23:55. Make sure to check these times yourself to avoid getting stranded 😉

>> I’m not sure if there will be enough activity in Murren to keep us busy in the evenings (we like to find a nice pub or bar to meet other travelers and chat)

None of these small mountain villages will have much of a nightlife, especially when you are there, which is the tail end of the low season: the ski season will have finished in April, and the hiking season is just about to start.

However, your hotel does have a bar, so you might get the chance to chat to other travellers there.

In these mountain villages, the great majority of restaurants and bars are attached to hotels. Some hotels will have closed after the skiers left, but might have reopened by mid June.

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Lauterbrunnen for one night or directly to Murren?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.