Lauterbrunnen, Mürren, Wengen in April/ May

• Robbaker
    Participant
    11 posts
    28 September 2019 at 1:01:47 #824006

Travelling to this area in April/ May next year.. Wondering which of these towns travellers would recommend for 2-3 nights. We will be in Grindelwald for 3 nights beforehand.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6274 posts
    28 September 2019 at 7:26:49 #922784

Hi Robbaker,

Personally I would pick Lauterbrunnen. It’s in a beautiful valley and is centrally located for making trips to the mountain and elsewhere in the Jungfrau region.

Some useful links about accommodation in the areas you listed.
    http://www.myswissalps.com/we ngen/hotels
    http://www.myswissalps.com/mu rren/hotels
    http://www.myswissalps.com/la uterbrunnen/hotels

Anna

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    28 September 2019 at 19:23:54 #922785

Hello Robbaker and welcome to the forums!

Personally I would recommend against changing bases from Grindelwald to one of the Lauterbrunnen Valley villages. It is only 36 minutes by train from Grindelwald to Lauterbrunnen, to me it wouldn’t be worth the hassle of a relocation when you can easily visit the entire Lauterbrunnen Valley area from a Grindelwald base.

Also, be aware that many of the hotels and restaurants in the L Valley villages will still be closed in Apri to mid-May. Since Grindelwald is larger you will have a wider selection of amenities.

Spring does not come early to the Swiss Alps. The very popular high mountain walks such as Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg, First to Bachalpsee, Schynige Platte to First, Eiger Trail, and all the hikes accessible from the Allmendhubel funicular on the Mürren side typically don’t open until at least June 15, sometimes later. Something that’s good to know for your planning. If you can go later in the spring much more will be accessible.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 September 2019 at 23:16:54 #922786

There really is no need to stay in two places in the same area. Grindelwald is already a perfectly good base for the whole area

Switzerland is a small country, and the Berner Oberland is a small region within a small country, and the Jungfrau area is a small area within the small Berner Oberland region!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 September 2019 at 10:43:03 #922787

Hello Robbaker,

Grindelwald would certainly be a great base to visit the entire Lauterbrunnen Valley and elsewhere in the Jungfrau region. Please take a look at the link about Grindelwald to help your planning:

http://www.myswissalps.com/gr indelwald

Spring in the Swiss Alps indeed is a late bloomer. Please find input about the weather forecast and my favourite weather app (MeteoSWISS) in the two below links.

http://www.myswissalps.com/we ather/forecast
    http://www.myswissalps.com/ab outswitzerland/practic al/websites

While you are visiting, I highly recommend the Swiss public transport system because it is among the best in the world. Nearly every location can be reached this way. Please take a look:

http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain

Happy planning!

Best regards,
    Suzanne

Robbaker
    Participant
    11 posts
    29 September 2019 at 11:04:54 #922788

Thankyou so much everybody for your thoughts and recommendations as well as the valuable links. This helps us greatly with our planning.

This is a fabulous site and forum. I have trawled through lots of sections. Well done.

Regards, Rob

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 October 2019 at 11:54:35 #922789

Hello there! I hope this thread is still alive.

in the midst of detailed planning, so I’m travelling with a 5 month old infant, my wife and my parents, have booked airbnb accomodation for 7 nights (27/4 – 4/5/2020) in Lauterbrunnen, will be driving but will likely be leaving the car parked at the bnb.

So you can see 7 out of 15 nights will be based in Lauterbrunnen cos we love the swiss alps!

22-24/4 St Gallen – 2 (confirmed)

24-26/4 Graubunden -2 (confirmed)

26-27/4 Locarno- 1 (confirmed)

27/4 – 4/5 Lauterbrunnen – 7 (confirmed)

4/5 – 7/5 Lucerne – 3 (confirmed)

And did some research on mountain transport from prev forum post in 2014 (with some updates in 2020):

Wengernalpbahn (Lauterbrunnen to/from Kleine Scheidegg via Wengen) runs year round.

X SchynigePlatte Bahn (Wilderswil to Schynige Platte): operations resume 29 May (note: the Schynige Platte to First hike is often closed until mid-June due to snow

Lauterbrunnen –Grütschalp –Mürren route will not run due to maintenance work from: 04.05. – 15.05.2020. During these dates public transport to Mürren is available via the Schilthorn gondola only.

Mürren – Schilthorn route will not run due to maintenance work from 20. – 24.04.2020

Schilthorn gondola (Stechelberg to Schilthorn via Gimmelwald and Mürren): operates year round except 21 April to 2 May 2014 and 10 November to 5 December 2014.

Männlichen gondola

X From Wengen: winter operations until 6 April 2014, closed 7 April to May 16, re-opens 17 May to 19 October 2014.

X From Grindelwald: winter operations until 6 April 2014, closed 7 April to 28 May, reopens 29 May until 19 October 2014.

X (Note: the Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg walk is possible during summer but may be closed until mid-June due to snow)

X Mürren – Allmendhubel cog train route will not run due to maintenance work from 15.04. – 12.06.2020

First gondola (Grindelwald to First via Bort): operates until 30 March 2014, closed until 3 May 2014. (Note: the First to Bachalpsee walk, accessible during summer season, is typically closed until mid-June due to snow)

Harderkulm: operates 18 April 2014 until 26 October 2014

Can drive, no need Jungfrau pass: Luftseilbahn Isenfluh – Sulwald – http://www.isenfluh.ch/

Lake cruises:

Lake Thun cruises run daily until 13 December 2014

Lake Brienz cruises run daily from 5 April 2014 until 26 October 2014

=====

So my main question is this:

1) Where would you recommend for us to explore as a family from Lauterbrunnen as a base? – less snow if possible, the GREENER / and more FLORA the better. along the lines of cowbells and sound of music theme. Also any quaint , hidden gems, lesser known spots / restaurants/ etc? Anything basically that I can mark on google maps as a place to explore. We have a car for flexibility as well.

PLEASE FEEL FREE TO THROW OUT ANY IDEAS/ SUGGESTIONS!

I know end April / early May may not be the best time but we really wanna escape the crowd, and enjoy some cool weather as we come from Singapore.

2) A smaller question will be this: We will likely be getting swiss half cards even though we are driving. However would you recommend to buy the Jungfrau travel pass as well (noting that alot of gondolas will be closed, especially Wengen side?

thanks in advance!

Arno
    15471 posts
    12 October 2019 at 15:32:42 #922790

Hi Rogerteo88,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! Can you please post your questions in a new thread as explained in our forum rules? This one is for Robbaker’s plans. Thanks!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 October 2019 at 0:20:39 #922791

sure will do

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 October 2019 at 9:31:57 #922792

Hello Rogerteo88,

Thanks for starting a new thread for your previous question. We appreciate it!

Best regards,

Suzanne

• The thread ‘Lauterbrunnen, Mürren, Wengen in April/ May’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.