Lauterbrunnen to Jungfraujoch - best rail pass?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
netbies
netbies
4 posts
Jun 4, 2017 - 12:47 PM

we are a family of 4 (2 kids of 9 and 7) and will visit Swiss mainly by car. We intend to stay in Lauterbrunnen for 1 night , go to Jungfraujoch in the morning and return to Jungfraujoch in the afternoon.

should we just buy normal fare tickets or is there any other cheaper ways ? thanks

Lucas
Lucas
9627 posts
expert &
Jun 4, 2017 - 3:30 PM in reply to netbies

Hi Netbies and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Assuming you are doing some other train travel while exploring Switzerland then I would definitely suggest buying the Swiss Half Fare Card for the adults and add on the free Swiss Family Card to cover the children. This way you get 50% for the adults and the children are completely free.

It is almost worth the cost of the pass just for the Jungfraujoch trip, so if you do any other trips in Switzerland by train or boat you will certainly save money. You can buy the Swiss Half Fare Card here (and order the Swiss Family Card at the same time.

Lucas

netbies
netbies
4 posts
Jun 5, 2017 - 1:28 AM in reply to Lucas

thanks Lucas. The Jungfraujoch trip is the only trip we would take public transport. We plan to drive all the way from Geneva to Zurich.

Lucas
Lucas
9627 posts
expert &
Jun 5, 2017 - 9:21 AM in reply to netbies

Hmm ok, if that is your only trip in Switzerland by boat or train or gondola etc. then I think it wouldn't make sense to buy a rail pass of any kind.

Wait until you know the weather looks good before buying your tickets to Jungfraujoch (the day of, or the day before).

Annika
Annika
4993 posts
expert &
Jun 5, 2017 - 12:42 PM in reply to netbies

Hi netbies,

Without any rail pass you can save some money on Jungfaujoch with a Good Morning Ticket: myswissalps.com/jungfr aujoch/tickets.

netbies
netbies
4 posts
Jun 6, 2017 - 11:56 AM in reply to Annika

thanks Annika. Can I buy the Good Morning tickets on the day we go ?

Lucas
Lucas
9627 posts
expert &
Jun 6, 2017 - 12:33 PM in reply to netbies

Yes you can - see here for more details

Lucas

pdtboy
pdtboy
1 post
Jun 7, 2017 - 12:43 PM

I am considering buying either a 4 day pass or a 4day flex pass.

Question is: do I get discounts on mountain trains in days my flex pass is not validated? i.e. Are these discounts valid only on days the pass is validated? tks Paulo

netbies
netbies
4 posts
Jun 7, 2017 - 3:50 PM in reply to Lucas

got it ! one more question, can I use credit card to buy tickets at the railway station ?

Lucas
Lucas
9627 posts
expert &
Jun 7, 2017 - 8:06 PM in reply to pdtboy

Hi Paulo,

Yes, you have to use a day of your Swiss Travel Pass Flex to get free or discounted travel within Switzerland.

Cheers,

Last modified on Jun 7, 2017 - 8:07 PM by Lucas
Lucas
Lucas
9627 posts
expert &
Jun 7, 2017 - 8:07 PM in reply to netbies

Yes, The SBB rail offices will accept credit cards.

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018