Lauterbrunnen to Florence using Swiss Travel Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 September 2017 at 23:17:47 #813169

Hello! We are planning a trip end of the year to Switzerland, coming from Paris to Lausanne for a day (via TGV). Upon arrival at Lausanne, we plan to buy the Swiss travel pass for the next part of our journey.

Question 1: I assume the Swiss travel pass can be easily purchased at the tourism office or the train station at Lausanne. Please correct me if I am wrong about this.

Then, we move on to Lucerne for 2 days. After that, Lauterbrunnen for another 2 days. At both places we plan to use the public transport extensively, hence we wanted to get a 4-day Swiss travel pass.

Question 2: After that we are going to Florence, and I am not sure what to do regarding the train travel and would like some advice. I am thinking of buying individual tickets – Lauterbrunnen to Spiez, Spiez to Milan, Milan to Florence, which means I need 3 different tickets? If so, how do I buy these tickets in advance? Do I have to get off the train at each interchange and get the tickets before boarding the next train forward? I am also concerned about the short window of time we might have to change trains.

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 September 2017 at 3:01:43 #869409

We had Swiss Travel passes and took the train from Montreux to Milan. We only needed to buy the tickets from Domodossola to Milan. It is easier to purchase that online from trenitalia.com. Im not sure about from Spiez, but I was told the Swiss travel pass can be used until the Italian border, so if you have the pass you wont need to buy one from lauterbrunnen to spiez. 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 September 2017 at 5:31:29 #869410

Hi Saffronia and welcome to MySwissAlps!

You won’t need to buy separate tickets to each town no. It sounds like the Swiss Travel Pass would be expired when you leave Lauterbrunnen? If so, you can buy one ticket for the whole trip. If it is still valid that day you only need to buy a ticket from the Swiss border town (probably Domodossola) to Florence.

You will have to change trains during your trip though. You can find the train timetable here.

You can then find a few companies here that sell tickets to/from Switzerland and Italy.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 September 2017 at 8:09:45 #869411

Thank you all for the replies! Regarding purchase of Swiss travel pass, is that possible to buy when we are in Lausanne (instead of online)?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 September 2017 at 10:37:59 #869412

Yes, you can certainly buy it at the Lausanne train station if you prefer.

We find buying a Swiss Travel Pass online is easier though. Then you have the pass before arriving in Switzerland and can start using the trains, buses etc. right away. You will also have an electronic back-up as it is emailed to you for printing.

Lucas

• The thread ‘Lauterbrunnen to Florence using Swiss Travel Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.