About us | Contact | n%2Fa | n%2Fa
Home Get in touch Forum Lauterbrunnen to Schilthorn day trip using car
MySwissAlps features commercial and non-commercial links.

Lauterbrunnen to Schilthorn day trip using car

Print this page
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
kentjulie
kentjulie
16 posts
Jan 20, 2020 - 9:31 PM

Hi there

We will be travelling by car from Interlaken to Lauterbrunnen on May 27th, 2020. We are a family of 4.

I have been researching and researching trying to figure this out. Here is what we are trying to do:

Spend some time in Lauterbrunnen, the town and the falls. We figure we'll be there by 9am.

From Lauterbrunnen we want get to Schilthorn. We would drive to Stechelberg and park our car. From there do we take a train or cable car to Murren? If we park in Stechelberg, I read it's best to go up that way, but down the other side - is it far to get back to our car?

I think there are stops we would like to see along the way:

Trummelback Falls

Murren - funicular to Allmendhubel

Birg - Skyline Walk

Schilthorn walk and revolving restaurant

So, can someone tell me if I have my directions right? Also, am I expecting to do too much in a day? Any suggestions on what I should do in that day if I can't do it all?

Thank you for your help

julie

rockoyster
rockoyster
8888 posts
expert
Jan 20, 2020 - 9:49 PM in reply to kentjulie

Leave the car at Lauterbrunnen. From Lauterbrunnen a very nice circuit to do is to Grütschalp (cable car), Mürren (train), Gimmelwald (cable car), Stechelberg (cable car), Lauterbrunnen (bus). From Mürren you can easily visit Schiltorn (don’t miss The Thrill Walk at Birg) and even Allmendhubel if you have time. In between Stechelberg and Lauterbrunnen the bus stops at the Trummelbach Falls. Well worth a look.

Last modified on Jan 21, 2020 - 12:51 PM by Steph
kentjulie
kentjulie
16 posts
Jan 21, 2020 - 12:27 AM in reply to rockoyster

Thank you for your help. We will have the Swiss Half Fare card, will that help with costs for the travels?

So by sounds of it, we will be able to do the whole tour starting in Lauterbrunnen. That's great news.

rockoyster
rockoyster
8888 posts
expert
Jan 21, 2020 - 1:40 AM in reply to kentjulie

Yes the Swiss Half-fare Card will help keep costs down. You can see the circuit on the map you can download from www.myswissalps.com/swisshalffarecard/validity. You will get 50% off the ticket price for everything except entry to Trummelbach Falls. That’s around CHF10 from memory.

kentjulie
kentjulie
16 posts
Jan 21, 2020 - 2:31 PM in reply to rockoyster

Thank you, you've been a great help :-)

Julie

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
7541 posts
expert
Jan 21, 2020 - 3:51 PM in reply to kentjulie

This map may offer a small bit of supplemental help as well, not that Rockoyster needs any ;-)

Zoom in and out and scroll around. I chose that zoom setting of 32 (last number in the URL) because the train lines pop clearly into view-

map.search.ch/?pos=639872,159288&z=32

Slowpoke

kentjulie
kentjulie
16 posts
Jan 21, 2020 - 4:23 PM

Oh that's great info - I'll do that - thank you.

For our trip in Lauterbrunnen - I just want to make sure this is the route:

Drive to Launterbrunnen

Leave the car at Lauterbrunnen

Visit the town and the Falls

Take a cable car to Grütschalp

Take a train to Mürren

Visit Schiltorn (don’t miss The Thrill Walk at Birg)

Visit Allmendhubel

Take a cable car to Gimmelwald

Take a cable car to Stechelberg

Visit Trummelbach Falls

Take a bus back Lauterbrunnen

Is that about right?

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
7541 posts
expert
Jan 21, 2020 - 4:41 PM in reply to kentjulie

I think it is exactly right ;-)

Once you are there, at Mürren, you can get a good idea of the lay of the land, and see if you wish to explore all of those items above Mürren. I think that tea are worthwhile, but , it always nice to have flexibility.

Also, when you take the cable cars down from Mürren to Stechelberg, the pause at Gimmelwald station is usually brief. Don't dawdle . ;-)

Slowpoke

kentjulie
kentjulie
16 posts
Jan 21, 2020 - 6:10 PM

Ok thank you. On this site, I read the following: All cable cars to the Schilthorn depart from the town of Mürren. Mürren can be reached via Interlaken - Lauterbrunnen - Grütschalp, or via Interlaken - Lauterbrunnen - Stechelberg. We recommend to go up via Stechelberg and go down via Grütschalp.

But in my trip outline above, it seems though we are going to Grütschalp first. Oh my, I'm a bit confused.

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
7541 posts
expert
Jan 21, 2020 - 6:30 PM in reply to kentjulie

<<"But in my trip outline above, it seems though we are going to Grütschalp first. Oh my, I'm a bit confused">>

It doesn't matter. If you go up to Gruetschalp first, you look toward the Jungfrau massif as you go to Muerren. And, if you decide to walk that stretch, the views are definitely better if you walk toward Muerren. But, those are small differences, and some like the cableways up from Stechelberg better than down. Toss a coin.

Slowpoke

Last modified on Jan 21, 2020 - 7:39 PM by Slowpoke
kentjulie
kentjulie
16 posts
Jan 21, 2020 - 7:05 PM in reply to Slowpoke

Ok thanks for clarifying :-)

rockoyster
rockoyster
8888 posts
expert
Jan 21, 2020 - 7:53 PM in reply to kentjulie

I recommend going up to Grütschalp first for a few reasons including the one Slowpoke has mentioned. The weather is often better earlier so leave Trummelbach to the end of the circuit. The cable car from Gimmelwald to Stechelberg is much more impressive going down than up (albeit briefly).

SWISS TRAVEL MUST KNOWS

All you need to know about traveling by train, bus or car in Switzerland.

More

NEED SOME TIPS ON WHERE TO SLEEP?

Hand picked Swiss hotels and other accommodations are right here.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2020