Lauterbrunnen to Schilthorn day trip using car

• kentjulie
    Participant
    16 posts
    20 January 2020 at 21:31:00 #824952

Hi there

We will be travelling by car from Interlaken to Lauterbrunnen on May 27th, 2020. We are a family of 4.

I have been researching and researching trying to figure this out. Here is what we are trying to do:

Spend some time in Lauterbrunnen, the town and the falls. We figure we’ll be there by 9am.

From Lauterbrunnen we want get to Schilthorn. We would drive to Stechelberg and park our car. From there do we take a train or cable car to Murren? If we park in Stechelberg, I read it’s best to go up that way, but down the other side – is it far to get back to our car?

I think there are stops we would like to see along the way:

Trummelback Falls

Murren – funicular to Allmendhubel

Birg – Skyline Walk

Schilthorn walk and revolving restaurant

So, can someone tell me if I have my directions right? Also, am I expecting to do too much in a day? Any suggestions on what I should do in that day if I can’t do it all?

Thank you for your help

julie

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    20 January 2020 at 21:49:32 #928417

Leave the car at Lauterbrunnen. From Lauterbrunnen a very nice circuit to do is to Grütschalp (cable car), Mürren (train), Gimmelwald (cable car), Stechelberg (cable car), Lauterbrunnen (bus). From Mürren you can easily visit Schiltorn (don’t miss The Thrill Walk at Birg) and even Allmendhubel if you have time. In between Stechelberg and Lauterbrunnen the bus stops at the Trummelbach Falls. Well worth a look.

kentjulie
    Participant
    16 posts
    21 January 2020 at 0:27:47 #928418

Thank you for your help. We will have the Swiss Half Fare card, will that help with costs for the travels?

So by sounds of it, we will be able to do the whole tour starting in Lauterbrunnen. That’s great news.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    21 January 2020 at 1:40:19 #928419

Yes the Swiss Half-fare Card will help keep costs down. You can see the circuit on the map you can download from http://www.myswissalps.com/swisshalffarecard/validity. You will get 50% off the ticket price for everything except entry to Trummelbach Falls. That’s around CHF10 from memory.

kentjulie
    Participant
    16 posts
    21 January 2020 at 14:31:20 #928420

Thank you, you’ve been a great help 🙂

Julie

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    21 January 2020 at 15:51:00 #928421

This map may offer a small bit of supplemental help as well, not that Rockoyster needs any 😉

Zoom in and out and scroll around. I chose that zoom setting of 32 (last number in the URL) because the train lines pop clearly into view-

map.search.ch/?pos=639872,159288&z=32

Slowpoke

kentjulie
    Participant
    16 posts
    21 January 2020 at 16:23:26 #928422

Oh that’s great info – I’ll do that – thank you.

For our trip in Lauterbrunnen – I just want to make sure this is the route:

Drive to Launterbrunnen

Leave the car at Lauterbrunnen

Visit the town and the Falls

Take a cable car to Grütschalp

Take a train to Mürren

Visit Schiltorn (don’t miss The Thrill Walk at Birg)

Visit Allmendhubel

Take a cable car to Gimmelwald

Take a cable car to Stechelberg

Visit Trummelbach Falls

Take a bus back Lauterbrunnen

Is that about right?

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    21 January 2020 at 16:41:39 #928423

I think it is exactly right 😉

Once you are there, at Mürren, you can get a good idea of the lay of the land, and see if you wish to explore all of those items above Mürren. I think that tea are worthwhile, but , it always nice to have flexibility.

Also, when you take the cable cars down from Mürren to Stechelberg, the pause at Gimmelwald station is usually brief. Don’t dawdle . 😉

Slowpoke

kentjulie
    Participant
    16 posts
    21 January 2020 at 18:10:12 #928424

Ok thank you. On this site, I read the following: All cable cars to the Schilthorn depart from the town of Mürren. Mürren can be reached via Interlaken – Lauterbrunnen – Grütschalp, or via Interlaken – Lauterbrunnen – Stechelberg. We recommend to go up via Stechelberg and go down via Grütschalp.

But in my trip outline above, it seems though we are going to Grütschalp first. Oh my, I’m a bit confused.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    21 January 2020 at 18:30:28 #928425

<<“But in my trip outline above, it seems though we are going to Grütschalp first. Oh my, I’m a bit confused”>>

It doesn’t matter. If you go up to Gruetschalp first, you look toward the Jungfrau massif as you go to Muerren. And, if you decide to walk that stretch, the views are definitely better if you walk toward Muerren. But, those are small differences, and some like the cableways up from Stechelberg better than down. Toss a coin.

Slowpoke

kentjulie
    Participant
    16 posts
    21 January 2020 at 19:05:49 #928426

Ok thanks for clarifying 🙂

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    21 January 2020 at 19:53:10 #928427

I recommend going up to Grütschalp first for a few reasons including the one Slowpoke has mentioned. The weather is often better earlier so leave Trummelbach to the end of the circuit. The cable car from Gimmelwald to Stechelberg is much more impressive going down than up (albeit briefly).

• The thread ‘Lauterbrunnen to Schilthorn day trip using car’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.