About us | Contact | n%2Fa | n%2Fa
Home Get in touch Forum Train connections Lauterbrunnen to Zermatt in June
MySwissAlps features ads, commercial and non-commercial links.

Train connections Lauterbrunnen to Zermatt in June

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
Sburbank35
Sburbank35
24 posts
Jan 23, 2023 - 11:57 PM

I'm planning on taking the train from Lauterbrunnen to Zermatt in June. The schedules don't seem to be out yet, but the best I'm seeing now is 3 changes. Is that how many there will be in the summer also?

Thank you!

1960man
1960man
4753 posts
expert
Jan 24, 2023 - 12:09 AM in reply to Sburbank35

The European railway timetable runs yearly from December to December, so if you can't find the timetables for Lauterbrunnen to Zermatt for June 2023 you must be looking in the wrong place, or someone has given you the wrong informatkion.

The railway timetable system from Switzerland works on what is known as a 'taktfahrplan' (= regular interval clockface timetable), trains on all routes depart at the same time past each hour throughout the day, usually one per hour but once can be every 30 minutes on some busy routes, and perhaps once every 2 hours on certain routes.

The old traditional mountain line route from Lauterbrunnen to Zermatt is:

• Lauterbrunnen - Interlaken (Change trains)
  • Interlaken - Spiez (change)
  • Spiez - Kandersteg - Loetschberg tunnel - Brig (change)
  • Brig - Visp - Zermatt

The faster route is via the modern base tunnel:

• Lauterbrunnen - Interlaken (change)
  • Interlaken - Spiez (change)
  • Spiez - Loetschberg base tunnel - Visp (change)
  • Visp - Zermatt

Trains depart every 30 mins from Lauterbrunnen (xx.02 and xx.32) with the quick interchange at Interlaken Ost you arrive at Spiez almost exactly 1 hour later, from there you can calculate which train you want to take from Spiez

Last modified on Jan 24, 2023 - 12:14 AM by 1960man
Sburbank35
Sburbank35
24 posts
Jan 24, 2023 - 12:23 AM in reply to 1960man

Thank you so much! It looks like it's a 3 change destination from Lauterbrunnen :)

Just to be clear, I can buy this as one journey correct?

1960man
1960man
4753 posts
expert
Jan 24, 2023 - 12:31 AM in reply to Sburbank35

You can buy any trip on Swiss main line routes as one trip. Don't forget that a Saver Day Pass could be the cheapest option for one all-day trip

1960man
1960man
4753 posts
expert
Jan 24, 2023 - 12:35 AM in reply to Sburbank35

Yes, it will always be 3 changes of train as at least two of the changes are enforced by a change of track gauge (Lauterbrunnen and Visp - Zermatt are metre gauge lines, and you reverse direction in Spiez, so that will also an enforced change of train.

Last modified on Jan 24, 2023 - 12:35 AM by 1960man
Sburbank35
Sburbank35
24 posts
Jan 24, 2023 - 1:36 AM in reply to 1960man

Ok... So I'll have the half fare card. Would I buy the savers day pass in addition to that? It's so confusing. lol

Anna
Anna
4182 posts
expert &
Jan 24, 2023 - 11:35 AM in reply to Sburbank35

Hi Sburbank35,

With a Swiss Half Fare Card, you can purchase the Saver Day Pass online up to 60 days in advance. Further details here: www.myswissalps.com/saverdaypass, https://www.myswissalps.com/swisshalffarecard.

You can check train schedules here: www.myswissalps.com/timetable

regards,

Anna

Last modified on Jan 25, 2023 - 8:26 AM by Arno
Sburbank35
Sburbank35
24 posts
Jan 24, 2023 - 5:02 PM in reply to Anna

Thank you Anna...

Ok, tell me if I have this correct... Let's say that the regular price from Lauterbrunnen to Zermatt, using the HFC is 44 CHF... BUT, I can do the same journey with a Saver Day Pass for 29 CHF (and not worry about if I make a certain connection correct?) So I would save 15 CHF per person if I buy the Saver Day Pass. Do I have this right?

One of my other journeys that has multiple connections is Geneva to Lauterbrunnen (2 changes) and is 24 CHF. So it doesn't really save me to get the Saver Day Pass other than if I miss a connection I COULD get a different train. Is that correct?

Thank you all so much for your help.

1960man
1960man
4753 posts
expert
Jan 24, 2023 - 10:51 PM in reply to Sburbank35

Correct. However, a point to point normal ticket is valid on any train and so is a Saver Day Pass. The only rate that is restricted to a specific train is the Supersaver. I have never used a supersaver because a Saver Day Pass gives you a 'walk on anywhere anytime' option for a reasonable price

Sburbank35
Sburbank35
24 posts
Jan 24, 2023 - 11:14 PM in reply to 1960man

Thank you 1960man! I appreciate your replies. And thank you for clarifying that I don't need to worry about a connection and getting on the next train with a point to point ticket. That's good to know!

Arno
Arno
15810 posts
expert &
Jan 25, 2023 - 9:47 AM in reply to Sburbank35

Hi Sburbank35!

Yes, theoretically you can save about CHF 15 for the journey you mentioned. But note that CHF 29 is the lowest possible rate for a Saver Day Pass bought with a Swiss Half Fare Card discount. Saver Day Pass prices fluctuate, so this lowest fare is not guaranteed. Buying as long in advance as possible usually gives you the best chances: see https://www.myswissalps.com/saverdaypass/price.

The difference between normal tickets (that are valid for any train) and Supersaver tickets (that are for one specific train/departure time only) is further explained at https://www.myswissalps.com/traintickets/switzerland.

SWISS TRAVEL MUST KNOWS

All you need to know about traveling by train, bus or car in Switzerland.

More

NEED SOME TIPS ON WHERE TO SLEEP?

Hand picked Swiss hotels and other accommodations are right here.

More

Who's MySwissAlps.com?
We're passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about planning a trip to Switzerland since 2002.
More about usNewsletter signup

© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2023