Lauterbrunnen to Zermatt with Swiss Travel Pass

• Travel_Lorri
    Participant
    2 posts
    23 March 2018 at 21:18:38 #814919

I have a 1st class Swiss Travel Pass and want to go from Lauterbrunnen to Zermatt and back, all in one day in mid-May. I have spent much time looking online and honestly, the validity map is a bit difficult for these eyes to read. I have a few questions.

Is this possible to do in one day? I really have looked at timetables but am still confused! It looks like it is possible but will be about 6 hours on the train, which is okay!

Is the entire route covered with the Swiss Travel Pass?

What portion do we need reservations for? Just from Visp to Zermatt? Or Brig to Zermatt if it takes us that way via Kandersteg? It seems most of the times I am looking at do not have the GEX trains.

I did read about going via Kandersteg for nice views. It looks like there are 2 train routes near Kandersteg. If you went via Kandersteg would you prefer to do that route on the way to Zermatt or on the way back as far as views are concerned?

Thanks so much for any help you can offer!

Lorri

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    23 March 2018 at 22:06:14 #879609

Hi Lorri –

Welcome to My Swiss Alps.

That will be a nice trip. I really like the slower upper route where the special train is named named “The Lötschberger.” I ride it and get off at Hohtenn and hike to Ausserberg, where I catch another one of the hourly trains. to go on to Brig or return to Spiez/Interlaken./etc.

This link shows what the hike is like.. You’ll go by most of it too fast to see all the fine the details if you are watching from the train windows.

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/bls-sudrampe-trail

I just checked the map for validity.

http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity

If you download it, you can zoom the *.PDF file to make it very clear.

Make sure to study the legend at the far right. It explains that the dotted lines near Wengen and the Jungfrau are routes where some discount is offered, but not a “free” ride. The numbers with circles around them refer to the details explained in thelegend.

The dashed lines on the map near Kandersteg signify tunnels. The heavier dashed line means that it is part of the main line routes which do not pass through Kandersteg. The lighter line is the old route, which does pass through Kandersteg.

The Swiss Travel Pass is valid on either route. You will not need reservations unless you are on the GEX from Brig or Visp to Zermatt..

The longer tunnel that does not actually go through Kandersteg is the new “Lötschberg Basis Tunnel” which goes through the base of the mountains and comes out near Visp. Because of the speed, it is the preferred route for travelers in a hurry to get to Italy via the Simplon. Most people find the scenery in the tunnel to be rather boring, which is why we recommend the old upper route, through (via) Kandersteg, which does also have a short tunnel. It also has quite nice scenery on each end of the route – that is, ascending to and descending from the tunnel entrance at Kandersteg and the exit at Goppenstein.

The upper route adds an hour +/-.

If you use the SBB timetable, you can compare by trying the route with and without “Kandersteg” in the “via” box.

The journey on the new fast out takes 2 hours and 42 minutes. There are some train changes.

If you put “Kandersteg” in the “via” box, you’ll find that the trip takes 3 hours and 49 minutes.

If you wish to use the two routes on the two way trip, you should think about sunrise and sunset timing, for the best visibility.

the section from Spiez to Kandersteg has comparable scenery whether you sit on the right or the left. Te section from Goppenstein down to Brig is better if you sit on the valley side of the train. That is, on the right side ( facing direction of traval going to Brig, and th e left side coming up the “ramp” from Brig to Goppenstein.

This link is for Brig. Differences along the route will be insignificant.

http://www.sunrise-and-sunset.com/en/sun/swit zerland/brig/2018/may

Slowpoke

Travel_Lorri
    Participant
    2 posts
    23 March 2018 at 22:18:22 #879610

Thank you so much! I’m a long time reader of this site but a new poster!

The symbol for the tunnel is where I was confused. Thanks for that explanation.

Thank you as well for the details of going via Kandersteg. I had spent some time with timetables and saw the different times but wasn’t sure what all that meant in terms of scenery and since I was unclear on the symbol for tunnels…well, there you have it!

Thanks again!

Lorri

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    24 March 2018 at 10:25:36 #879611

Hi Lorri –

Glad to hear that you figured it out.

The nice thing about travel in Switzerland is that there is tremendous amount of useful information available.

The trouble is that you have to find it and figure out how to use it.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Lauterbrunnen to Zermatt with Swiss Travel Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.