Lauterbrunnen vs Grindelwald

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 March 2012 at 10:38:17 #805032

Which of these two towns is a better/easier starting point to begin the Jungfraujoch rail trip? Also, if you only have two days to visit this region, (in September), which town offers the best/most access to tourism, restaurants etc etc.?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Wandermann
    Participant
    265 posts
    18 March 2012 at 12:35:47 #835191

Hello redscooter,

In my view Lauterbrunnen and Grindelwald are about equal as starting points for a Jungfraujoch rail trip. I’ve traveled from both towns to Kleine Scheidegg (part of your train trip) many times, although I never stayed in either of these towns.

Maybe Gindelwald is a bit more touristical? But if you have one day left for other activities Lauterbrunnen could be the place to be. You could visit the nearby Trümmelbach waterfalls, take the cable car from Lauterbrunnen to Grütschalp, from there go to Mürren (by train or by foot) and back to Stechelberg by cable car and Lauterbrunnen (by bus). Another option would be to visit Schilthorn (amazing views, if weather conditions are good).

On the other hand, from Grindelwald you could take the gondolas to First, or the cable car to Pfingstegg, or visit the gorge of the “Unterer Grindelwaldgletscher”.

Conclusion: I can’t advise you any further!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 March 2012 at 13:45:42 #835192

Thanks – that does help.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 March 2012 at 11:37:40 #835193

My wife and I stay in a self catering appartment in lauterbrunnen when we holiday in Switzerland and find everything we need to travel to the tourist spots is there.The railway is at the bottom of the main street and the cable car is on the opposite side of the road both will take you to all the important destinations. Enjoy your holiday.

• The thread ‘Lauterbrunnen vs Grindelwald’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.