Swiss timetable shows busy train: reserve seats?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 July 2018 at 14:41:11 #817008

Hi Friendz,

Can someone help me with this, there seems to be a particular legend as shown in the attachment which shows that whether it’s fully occupied or not on the train. So if it is the case can we at least stand and travel since it’s a short distance.

So in this case I know you we should be able to get in to another train. but my problem is this could be the case for medium and long distance travel as well. So is it safe to think that still no need to reserve seats or for that matter tickets ?? Having a swiss travel pass will still save me right ??

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 July 2018 at 16:18:00 #889919

Hi Ishkaan,

2 figures on the occupancy legend means fairly busy and 3 red figures indicates very busy and finding a seat may be hard. You can always stand on Swiss trains.

If the trip is short then I wouldn’t worry about it. If you are going on a longer trip, the train is rarely that busy for the entire trip. You may only be standing for 15-20 minutes as people get on and off.

I don’t think reservations are ever needed in Switzerland except panoramic trains (https://www.myswissalp s.com/activities/sceni ctrips/train) – but some regional trains allow reservations and if you like you can make them for 5chf per person.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 July 2018 at 22:04:03 #889920

Agree completely. 9 out of 10 times one can find place to sit and on the ones that show as heavy occupancy you can stand until you find a place.

I would rate my experience of travel on SBB as excellent. Very organised.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 July 2018 at 16:10:43 #889921

Thank you very much Lucas and Jyoti

• The thread ‘Swiss timetable shows busy train: reserve seats?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.