Visit Liechtenstein from St. Moritz or Zurich?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 April 2019 at 15:41:03 #820971

My 16 year old son and I are taking the Glacier Express from Zermatt to St. Moritz at the end of June. We plan to stay overnight in St. Moritz and then head north by train and spend 3 nights in Zurich. If we want to see Liechtenstein, should we go straight to Zurich and then do a day trip to Liechtenstein, or does it make more sense to go to Liechtenstein on the way to Zurich?

Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 April 2019 at 16:17:10 #909339

Hello Brodstravel and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

Nice to hear you and your son are coming along.
    Both possibilities you mention are valid and do-able within a day. To see connections and travelling times use our timetable link for details.
    http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

From Zurich there is also a guided tour to Liechtenstein/Vaduz, including Heidiland in Switzerland, so a two country, half-day tour. Click above link for details, if interested.

I hope this helps you place Liechtenstein somewhere in your itinerary.

Additionally please check following links:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/st moritz
    http://www.myswissalps.com/gl acierexpress
    http://www.myswissalps.com/zu rich

Best,
    Steph

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 April 2019 at 16:42:32 #909340

Thank you!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 April 2019 at 17:06:02 #909341

Welcome! 🙂

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    15 April 2019 at 0:38:21 #909342

Hi Brod-

I’m curious. What attracts you to Lichtenstein?

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 April 2019 at 23:11:50 #909343

I thought it would be fun to say we’ve been there. We may never have another chance to do that.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    15 April 2019 at 23:56:24 #909344

<<“I thought it would be fun to say we’ve been there. We may never have another chance to do that.”>>

That makes sense to me.

My reason for asking is just that I think I’d rather spend the time in someplace more scenic…..since I guess that you might not be back to Switzerland for a few years or ever….?

Slowpoke

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    16 April 2019 at 5:51:14 #909345

<< If we want to see Liechtenstein, should we go straight to Zurich and then do a day trip to Liechtenstein, or does it make more sense to go to Liechtenstein on the way to Zurich? >>

To answer to your question, I would say go there on your way to Zurich. I think that it is neat that you and your son want to visit Liechtenstein, as it does have some interesting things to see and this year, 2019, is a special year for the Principality, as they are celebrating the 300 years that have passed since 1719, when the monarchy was elevated to the status of an imperial principality. Various events are being held during the year. But even if your travel dates do not coincide with any of the festivities, Liechtenstein still has a number of interesting activities. Here is a list of “the top 12 activities in Liechtenstein”: tourismus.li/en/activi ties/top-12-activities-in-liechtenstein/

Some people seem to think that Liechtenstein is just some flat area on the right bank of the Rhein and not scenic. It is true that some of the Principality is low-lying, but I wonder if these people have visited the higher elevations. I attach a photo of the sun terrace at the Sareis mountain restaurant. Liechtenstein is very small, less than 25 kilometres from north to south, and less than 10 kilometres at its widest (west to east) so nothing is far away for you. By the way, rail is not the way to get around, but there is a very efficient bus system called Liemobil. I would recommned that you get off the SBB train in Buchs, SG (Canton of St. Gallen) and catch the Liemobil bus from there to the Principality. The good news is that Liemobil accepts the Swiss Travel Pass.

• The thread ‘Visit Liechtenstein from St. Moritz or Zurich?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.