Local train along GEX route, bus replacement

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 October 2018 at 17:47:49 #818735

Hello, I was planning on taking the local trains along the GEX route next week (late October 2018) however I see on the SBB website that there is rail construction along parts of the route (from Visp to Täsch and from Andermatt – Disentis) which are being replaced by bus. Will this still be worth the journey?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 October 2018 at 7:11:35 #898100

Hi lissashoff and welcome to MySwissAlps!

It certainly isn’t ideal but not a deal breaker for me, especially if your itinerary has you in Zermatt or St. Moritz? Zermatt especially I think is worth a visit. Where are you coming from before taking this route and where are trying to get to?

If you need to get between those towns anyway, then it is hard to avoid the construction. http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 October 2018 at 7:49:09 #898101

Thanks for the reply Lucas! The whole goal of our trip is to see as much of scenic Switzerland as we can. We had hoped to take the GEX but unfortunately as I am here on business I could not make the timing work. We will be starting in Zurich then to Lucerne and Zermatt. The plan was then to take the local trains to St. Moritz then finally end back in Zurich. I was not sure if the bus replacement is extensive or if we would not be able to see the same things we would see via rail.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 October 2018 at 14:52:40 #898102

You’ll have to deal with the replacement bus getting to Zermatt for a bit, but you could look at going from Zermatt to Visp and on to Montreux after Zermatt rather than St. Moritz and then, depending on how much time you have to get to Zurich, follow the Golden Pass route: http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass/gettingthere

I’d also recommend from Lucerne to Zermatt to go via Kandersteg as it avoids a long tunnel a gets you better scenery on that route.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 October 2018 at 7:09:01 #898103

Thanks so much for the input and advice. I think we are going to end up doing the Zermatt to St. Moritz route and braving the connections/bus replacements.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 October 2018 at 15:57:30 #898104

You’ll get there in the end! Try to pack light if possible so your bags aren’t too numerous or heavy when changing between train and bus (if possible). At least you are aware and prepared for it and it isn’t a surprise.

• The thread ‘Local train along GEX route, bus replacement’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.