Local travel using Swiss Travel Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 June 2018 at 18:51:54 #816494

Hello,

I am planning to travel with my spouse to Switzerland in month of September. We are planning to stay in Switzerland for a period of 8 days.

Zurich – 1.5 days ; Lucerne – 2 days ; Interlaken – 3 days; Montreux – 2 days

We plan to buy Swiss Travel pass and I had a quick couple of questions.

1) Can we use the Swiss Pass on local Trams/Buses/Buses in Lucerne, Interlaken and Montreux. Primarily to get from train stations to our accommodation.

2) If we decide to go to certain location, E.G: Grindelwald multiple times, on day 1 and 2, will Swiss Pass allow me to do this?

Thank you in advance!

~Kishan

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    6 June 2018 at 21:50:28 #887587

Hello Kishan and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

1) Yes.

2) Yes, for free, assuming it is a free route covered by the STP.

Make sure you read http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass and check the map you can download from the “Where it’s valid” tab.

Gunzel
    Participant
    241 posts
    6 June 2018 at 22:14:09 #887588

Travelling around by local public transport in Switzerland is a wonderful experience in itself. A ride to “the end of the line” is a great way of seeing local areas and often there is a handy coffee shop or bar to stop and watch the world go by.

But always have your pass handy because ticket inspections do happen, sometimes in the most unlikely places.

The Montreux to Vevey trolley bus is a lovely ride.

Depending on the location of your hotel in Interlaken, the local bus to Wilderswil is a good option to connect with the train to Grindelwald.

Enjoy your travels!

RaymondE
    Participant
    4 posts
    7 June 2018 at 13:34:46 #887589

Hi Kishan. As mentioned I’ve also used a Swiss travel pass in larger towns which are circled on the map you get when you purchase a Swiss travel pass. One thing not usually mentioned in these queries is that (I think) your passport can sometimes be needed to be shown to train conductors as it is a condition of using the Swiss travel pass!!!!!!! I’ve not seen that mentioned before though. I have travelled with a Swiss travel pass on 3 holidays and just occasionally have been asked for my passport by a train conductor. So best to take your passport with you just in case it is needed. I recommend buying one if you intend to use public transport much as it saves any problem with language when buying tickets. Enjoy your holiday. Ray

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 June 2018 at 15:00:05 #887590

Thank you all for the prompt responses and for the details!!

Kishan

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 June 2018 at 15:37:35 #887591

Yes, you need to keep your passport on you as they want to check passport details against what is filled out on the Swiss Travel Pass.They don’t check every time but if they check and you don’t have your passport on you (original) then you are considered to be traveling without a valid ticket/pass.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    7 June 2018 at 20:36:22 #887592

Hi Ray,

The passport requirement is mentioned at http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/howtouse.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 June 2018 at 6:11:38 #887593

Hi Raymond,

>> One thing not usually mentioned in these queries is that (I think) your passport can sometimes be needed to be shown to train conductors as it is a condition of using the Swiss travel pass!!!!!!! I’ve not seen that mentioned before though.

As well as the link rockoyster provided, this topic has come up in two recent posts, as well as on regular occasions in the past 🙂

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/printing-a-half-fare-pass-bought-on-sbb-website

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/connection-in-zweisimmen

However, it is always good to mention it – that increases the chance that people will get to see this important information!

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Local travel using Swiss Travel Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.