Stay in the Jura or Chur/Bad Ragaz area late Sep?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
RegulaBC
RegulaBC
2 posts
Jun 27, 2019 - 5:38 PM

O Wise Ones,

My husband, son and his bride and I are taking a nostalgic trip to visit my parent's home for a couple of weeks late Sept-Oct 2019. We’re going to purchase the Swiss Travel Pass for maximum flexibility. My parents grew up in Zurich and emigrated to the USA in late 1940's (father a pilot in Swiss Military, mother ambulance driver in Zurich during the War – 3 children born in Zurich, 3 in USA). We'll be staying in Zurich, Lucerne, Wengen, Fribourg (where my son was a summer intern at the university) and back to Zurich (to show our son my parent’s childhood houses, ETH, rowing club of Zurich - my father was on the Swiss rowing, bobsled and ice hockey teams for the 1936 Olympics).

We're looking for another base for a few days - my son's wife has to leave early so a place with easy access to the Zurich airport. I would like them to experience a few more places that I visited with my parents either the area that would include Murten and La Chaux-de-Fonds (where my mother lived as a high school exchange student to improve her French). My husband and son would love to visit a Swiss Army knife factory or store - I have my father's issued knife, he always joked that it included a cork screw as he was an officer. Maybe Solothurn or ?

Or the area around Chur - including Bad Ragaz (Tamina Gorge), somewhere around Domat Ems or Flims where we took a Rhaetian train to have a special florelle blau dinner (a good family friend worked for this railway) and maybe a trip up to St. Moritz where my father trained. Maybe Bad Ragaz or?

We all love walking - modest hikes (getting up in years), historic or natural sites, typically Swiss experiences, culinary adventures, vineyards etc. Since our daughter in law will be leaving we’d like to stay in a charming, memorable town and hotel and have a special dinner (she’s a pescatorian – fish and vegetables). We’re on a budget but would splurge for her last night then move to more modest digs for another couple of days. Any suggestions welcomed.

Thank you.

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
6753 posts
expert
Jun 28, 2019 - 11:21 PM in reply to RegulaBC

Hi RegulaBC-

Welcome to My Swiss Alps -

The forum is quite busy these days. Sorry it took so long to answer.

You obviously know a lot about the country.

I agree that the Tamina Schlucht is a nice idea. The restaurant there is not too bad, either. The wine from the local vineyard (":Highest Vineyard in Switzerland") is rather disappointing, unless they happen to have an Auslese.

However, I wonder if some more ordinary might actually work better as a way to give an impression of Switzerlnd. Thus, perhaps a regular tourist destination, such as Luzern, as you suggest, is probaly a good idea..

Or, how about the Emmental?

There are good links in this thread:

www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/a-particularly-nice-small-inn-in-the-emmental

I did not have time to carefully review your post today, but, that will give you a start. Peterli, who knows the Suisse Romande very well may wish to jump in if catches this.

www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/a-particularly-nice-small-inn-in-the-emmental

Snowman, knowledgeable in the French region but also the rest of Switzerland might help as well.

The Hotel au Sauvage in Fribourg meets your definition of a splurge, but not terribly overpriced. . Right on the language border, though, actually, mostly French. I stay there regularly.

Slowpoke

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019