Stay in the Jura or Chur/Bad Ragaz area late Sep?

• RegulaBC
    Participant
    5 posts
    27 June 2019 at 17:38:47 #822521

O Wise Ones,

My husband, son and his bride and I are taking a nostalgic trip to visit my parent’s home for a couple of weeks late Sept-Oct 2019. We’re going to purchase the Swiss Travel Pass for maximum flexibility. My parents grew up in Zurich and emigrated to the USA in late 1940’s (father a pilot in Swiss Military, mother ambulance driver in Zurich during the War – 3 children born in Zurich, 3 in USA). We’ll be staying in Zurich, Lucerne, Wengen, Fribourg (where my son was a summer intern at the university) and back to Zurich (to show our son my parent’s childhood houses, ETH, rowing club of Zurich – my father was on the Swiss rowing, bobsled and ice hockey teams for the 1936 Olympics).

We’re looking for another base for a few days – my son’s wife has to leave early so a place with easy access to the Zurich airport. I would like them to experience a few more places that I visited with my parents either the area that would include Murten and La Chaux-de-Fonds (where my mother lived as a high school exchange student to improve her French). My husband and son would love to visit a Swiss Army knife factory or store – I have my father’s issued knife, he always joked that it included a cork screw as he was an officer. Maybe Solothurn or ?

Or the area around Chur – including Bad Ragaz (Tamina Gorge), somewhere around Domat Ems or Flims where we took a Rhaetian train to have a special florelle blau dinner (a good family friend worked for this railway) and maybe a trip up to St. Moritz where my father trained. Maybe Bad Ragaz or?

We all love walking – modest hikes (getting up in years), historic or natural sites, typically Swiss experiences, culinary adventures, vineyards etc. Since our daughter in law will be leaving we’d like to stay in a charming, memorable town and hotel and have a special dinner (she’s a pescatorian – fish and vegetables). We’re on a budget but would splurge for her last night then move to more modest digs for another couple of days. Any suggestions welcomed.

Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    28 June 2019 at 23:21:10 #916348

Hi RegulaBC-

Welcome to My Swiss Alps –

The forum is quite busy these days. Sorry it took so long to answer.

You obviously know a lot about the country.

I agree that the Tamina Schlucht is a nice idea. The restaurant there is not too bad, either. The wine from the local vineyard (“:Highest Vineyard in Switzerland”) is rather disappointing, unless they happen to have an Auslese.

However, I wonder if some more ordinary might actually work better as a way to give an impression of Switzerlnd. Thus, perhaps a regular tourist destination, such as Luzern, as you suggest, is probaly a good idea..

Or, how about the Emmental?

There are good links in this thread:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/a-particularly-nice-small-inn-in-the-emmental

I did not have time to carefully review your post today, but, that will give you a start. Peterli, who knows the Suisse Romande very well may wish to jump in if catches this.

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/a-particularly-nice-small-inn-in-the-emmental

Snowman, knowledgeable in the French region but also the rest of Switzerland might help as well.

The Hotel au Sauvage in Fribourg meets your definition of a splurge, but not terribly overpriced. . Right on the language border, though, actually, mostly French. I stay there regularly.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Stay in the Jura or Chur/Bad Ragaz area late Sep?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.