Lodging in Jungfrau region for a tight trip

• HCoggins
    Participant
    3 posts
    31 January 2023 at 22:29:11 #828993

Hello!

It will be my husband and I’s first trip to Switzerland, and Europe of that matter, in September and plan to to visit the Jungfrau region for 2 full days after flying in from Zurich and before heading to Venice to explore Italy for a 1 week and a half.

We are looking at the trains for our travel day to Venice and there would be only one route available requiring us to leave around 5:30 am to make all our connections and the furthest we could stay into the mountains would be Lauterbrunnen or Grindelwald. There is some concern about missing our connection in Spiez, 13 minutes overlay, but also would be great to stay further in the mountains in a place like Murren/ Gimmelwald/ or Wengen.

My question is should we try to stay further in the mountains (like Murren) for 2 nights and on the 3rd stay in Spiez or stay in a more central location like Lauterbrunnen or Interlaken even for all 3 nights?

We are young and enjoying hiking so most of our time there will be devoted to exploring the outdoors while there.

Thank you in advance for your help!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 January 2023 at 23:45:47 #950431

NOTE: In the following post I have used the local spelling Venezia for Venice because when travelling in Europe it is helpful to get to know the correct local names for towns and cities so that if you hear them in announcement or see then on railway station screens you are not confused.

Why do you think you need to leave the Jungfrau area as early as 05.30 for a journey to Venezia (Venice)?

For an early evening arrival in Venezia, you can leave Murren as late as 10.28, as follows:

Murren 10.28 – Grutschalp – Lauterbrunnen by BLM transport (railway and connecting cableway), then Lauterbrunnen – Interlaken Ost, arrive 11.23

chnage from narrow gauge railway to main line train

Interlaken Ost 11.30 – Spiez 11.51 (change)

Spiez 12.05 – Milano Centrale 14.40 (change)

Milano Centrale 15.45 – Venezia Santa Lucia 18.12

HCoggins
    Participant
    3 posts
    1 February 2023 at 4:24:27 #950432

Thank you!

On the other websites we have used they had us connecting in Brig to Venice and that time of year they only have one morning train. Seems they don’t have as any options in September. Looks like a transfer in Milan though does have another, later, morning train. Still an early start but much more reasonable at 7:30. So at a minimum your comment saves us two more hours of sleep. Thank you!

I tried to find the times you are listing here but might not be looking at the right websites so please. Thank you again for your time!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 February 2023 at 12:26:30 #950433

The timings I gave (with a change in Milano) are valid all year. You should not have to leave at 07.30 if you are happy to change in Milano.

There is only one through train to Venezia, from Genève via Montreux and Brig (depart 07.44). For that train you do need to leave the Jungfrau area very early. I recommend you leave later and change in Milano, with that there are many more trains per day through the day (not just the example times I listed)

The best journey planner for pan-European trains is:

http://www.bahn.com/en

HCoggins
    Participant
    3 posts
    1 February 2023 at 15:15:42 #950434

Thank you!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 February 2023 at 16:51:54 #950435

Hi HCoggins and welcome to MySwissAlps.com!

As you are going to Italy, make sure to check this one, it helps you to get the best ticket: http://www.myswissalps.com/traintickets/italy.

If you would likle to save some time, you can stay in Lauterbrunnen (http://www.myswissalps.com/lauterbrunnen/hotels) or Interlaken (http://www.myswissalps.com/interlaken/hotels). I do not think that staying in Spiez would be the best solution.

Take care,

Ildiko

• The thread ‘Lodging in Jungfrau region for a tight trip’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.