Gruyeres, Bern, Interlaken? Nov 17 – 18

• Bsiess
    Participant
    13 posts
    19 October 2019 at 12:00:11 #824254

Family and I have two full days in Switzerland and staying in Montreux.

Thinking of Day 1 :Gruyeres, visiting castle, chocolate factory and then heading to another town, maybe Spiez or Bern,

Day 2: going to Bern (if not possibly Day 1) then Interlaken and visiting Harderkulm and or Lauterklum, really want to see some FALLS?

Really wanted to add something adventurous like The Rheinbach Falls or Aare Gorge but most seem to be closed by the time we arrive in November (17th).

Any suggestions of something similar and can we do all the above in 2 days,

Can someone advise on the above schedule and activities, want to see some of the charming towns and also some natural beauty.

Thank you!!!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6382 posts
    19 October 2019 at 15:03:24 #923905

Hi Bsiess,

For a 2-day visit, I think your plan is manageable, assuming you are driving.

However, November is a low season so you’ll find some of the attractions you are interested to visit may be closed, unfortunately. These include the Reichenbach Falls and the Aare Gorge which you mentioned. Harderkulm in Interlaken is open until 1st Dec. Lauterkulm – no idea where that is but I reckon you mean Lauterbrunnen?? The Staubbach Falls in Lauterbrunnen is accessible all year but November is probably not the best time to see it. The Trümmelbachfalls, also in Lauterbrunnen, is open until early November so you may have just missed it. Having said that, Lauterbrunnen is a lovely village to explore. If you have time, you should visit Mürren too or any one of the mountain villages such as Wengen and Grindelwald if you are in the Jungfrau region. If you plan to do this, I suggest you limit your visit to Interlaken and Lauterbrunnen on Day 2. Take note that it gets dark early in November, as early as 5 or maybe 4.30pm. Another suggestion is to make a pit stop in Thun, if you have time on your way to Spiez from Bern or Gruyères. Montreux itself has plenty of activities to offer and you should definitely make the best of your stay there, perhaps extend another day 🙂

Here are a few links you may find useful regarding places to see and things to do:

Be sure to check this out
    CO2 compensation: http://www.myswissalps.com/co2compensation

Best regards,

Anna

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    21 October 2019 at 10:00:07 #923906

You really need to have a look at the travel times involved here.

Use the timetable on the SBB website (bit.ly/2HH1U7B) or the highly-recommended SBB Mobile app (bit.ly/2ICIUHi) to plan your travel, find fares* and buy tickets if required. If you are not familiar with using the timetable it will pay to first read the instructions on this page – http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable. *SBB website shows half-fare prices by default, mobile app allows you to nominate full or half-fare and is also smart enough to offer you the Saver Day Pass (http://www.myswissalps.com/sa verdaypass) if that offers the best fare.

* The SBB website shows half-fare prices by default, the mobile app allows you to nominate whether to show full or half-fares (by editing the passenger details in settings) and is also smart enough to offer you the Saver Day Pass (http://www.myswissalps.com/sa verdaypass) if that offers the best fare. The app also show a platform map (at least at the larger stations) to help you make conections.

The Chocolate factory is at Broc Fabrique, not Gruyéres.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 October 2019 at 7:08:24 #923907

Hello Bsiess,

Welcome to MySwissAlps!

I hope you are coming along with your itinerary and you are finding the advices from Anna and rockoyster helpful.

I have included a link of various types of activities, and things to do in Switzerland to give you some inspiration:

Have fun planning!

Best regards,

Suzanne

Bsiess
    Participant
    13 posts
    22 October 2019 at 12:29:12 #923908

Hello Anna,

Thank you for your response. I looked into Thun and now on the top of my list, so beautiful. I think we decided on this,

Day 1 Gruyeres, visit town, castle, chocolate factory, maybe go to Broc and cheese factory/ or visit Thun after

Day 2 – visit either Harderkulm or the Schilthorn ride, visit village nearby, Lauterbrunnen, or go to Thun

What do you think?

Thanks for all your help and advise!

Bsiess
    Participant
    13 posts
    22 October 2019 at 12:29:40 #923909

I really appreciate all the advise, thank you!

Bsiess
    Participant
    13 posts
    22 October 2019 at 12:30:42 #923910

AHhh too many wondreful things to see and do! Thank you,I need to narrow down the list!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 October 2019 at 13:39:05 #923911

Hello Bsiess,

Thanks for your questions and reply!

Yes, there are so many things to see and do in Switzerland. Montreux is also beautiful with Lake Geneva nearby.

Just a friendly reminder about the amount of daylight you have while travelling. It starts getting dark around 17:00, the middle of November. Take it in consideration for all the places you want to visit. For example, when you want to go to Thun from Montreux that is a two hour train ride journey one way.

I would suggest to look at the train timetable to get detailed connections and estimates of travel time you need. That will give you a rough guide of remaining daylight time you have for enjoying the sites you have planned.

Happy planning!

Best regards,

Suzanne

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    22 October 2019 at 20:03:55 #923912

If you are based in Montreux then visiting the Jungfrau region is not that great an idea. From Montreux to Mürren (where the Schilthorn cable way commences) is a 7 – 8 hour round trip!

From Montreux a better place to get to the mountains is a day trip to Zermatt.

Or to Glacier 3000 via Aigle, Les Diablerets and Col-du-Pillon.

Bsiess
    Participant
    13 posts
    27 October 2019 at 19:12:31 #923913

Hi Rockoyster!

Thanks for your reply and suggestion. So do you think visiting Harderkulm is a good day trip from Montreux? I looked at the Glacier 3000, it looks amazing but a bit out of price range for the whole family. Any other suggestions? I would love an experience like Schilthorn cable or Glacier 3000. Also if we took the Gold Pass from Montreux to Zweisimmen, is there anywhere along the way adventurous to stop? And what suggestions for Zermatt? I really do appreciate all the help!

Bsiess
    Participant
    13 posts
    27 October 2019 at 19:17:28 #923914

Thank you Suzanne for all your help! A quick question about the Golden Pass Rail. I keep reading that the best route is from Zweisimmen to Montreux, can this be done the opposite way too, Montreux to Zweisimmen , and about how long is that round trip? Thank you!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 October 2019 at 20:04:10 #923915

Hello Bsiess,

Thanks for your questions!

As long as you have a valid ticket on the Golden Pass you are allowed to get off and on as you wish. If you want to do the reverse such as, Montreux to Zweisimmen, that is possible. The total trip on the Golden Pass is approximately 5 hours and 08 minutes, with a distance of 191 km. From Montreux to Zweisimmen it’s approximately 2 hours. Here’s a link in reference to the Golden Pass:

Here are links about Montreux for you to get some ideas:

Here is a link about Zweisimmen, and it’s not a major tourist attraction, so the activities are limited but a good transport hub for that region:

Here is a link about Zermatt:

I hope this helps you out!

Best regards,

Suzanne

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    27 October 2019 at 20:35:35 #923916

So do you think visiting Harderkulm is a good day trip from Montreux?

Sorry but I don’t think a day trip from Montreux to Interlaken is a sensible idea. In any case while Harder Kulm is the closest “mountain” to Interlaken it is also the smallest.

Zermatt is a much better prospect for you and Suzanne has provided links to information on things to do there.

Bsiess
    Participant
    13 posts
    30 October 2019 at 15:15:34 #923917

Sorry, one more question about Golden Pass through Montreux to Zweisman…are there stops along to way? If so, anything worthwhile to stop, see or do?

Thanks a million!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 October 2019 at 9:01:29 #923918

Hi Bsiess,

yes, there are many stops in between. You can check them in the timetable at http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable. If you click on the red, circled + sign, it will show you all the stops.

Les Avants has a cute little, 100 years old funicular, starting just next to the Golden Pass station, but the view is not that spectacular from there in my opinion.

I liked Château-d’Oex, which is a small village, famous from its hot-air balloon festival (being held in January) it would be good for a coffee.

Gstaad is famous from its ski slopes and resorts: http://www.myswissalps.com/gs taad, it would be a nice stop to stretch out your legs.

Bsiess
    Participant
    13 posts
    31 October 2019 at 18:01:14 #923919

Thank you so much for your response. We can’t wait for our trip!

Bsiess
    Participant
    13 posts
    4 November 2019 at 18:00:30 #923920

Thanks again for everyone’s help!. Can you tell me if there is more than one rail station in Montreux? When I search the SBB timetables I see many different options for Montreux? I also see different trains from Montreux and Montreux gare, are they close to one another? Thanks for all your help!!!

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    4 November 2019 at 20:02:51 #923921

Just choose Montreux or Montreux, Gare (Station) – they are the same thing. Ignore the others.

• The thread ‘Gruyeres, Bern, Interlaken? Nov 17 – 18’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.