Looking for information on Swiss surnames

• Drexelius
    Participant
    20 posts
    6 November 2019 at 13:02:50 #824394

I have heard that I have roots in Switzerland but not exactly sure where and I’m trying to find more information. Hoping that maybe folks in or near Switzerland have access to more information on surnames than I have access to here in the US. The surname here in the United States is Nosker, but is probably a derivation of Nofziger, Nafziger,Nafzger, Naffziger, Nafzinger, Naffzer, Naftziger, Nofziger, Noffsinger, Nofsker, Naftiger. I know it also has some German roots but it has always been our belief that it had Swiss origins, maybe in the Thun area. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    6 November 2019 at 21:30:55 #924774

Hello Drexellus

Well, that’s pretty easy. Go to the white pages site, called Local.ch in Switzerland: http://www.local.ch. Turn to the English version if necessary (>EN, top right corner). In the “Who or what?” box enter the name with the spelling you want. Leave the “Where?” box empty, and click on the magnifying lens (blue square). it will return all listed landline phone users with that last name.

I tried for Nafzger, it returned 112 entries, all of them in the Swiss Plateau, with indeed a concentration in Uetendorf, in the Thun area. I let you search for the other names.

The coat of arms of the Nafzger can be seen here.

Drexelius
    Participant
    20 posts
    6 November 2019 at 21:34:00 #924775

Thank you so much. That looks like a very valuable tool in helping to find where the ancestors are today! It will be fun looking up the other spellings of the last name.

• The thread ‘Looking for information on Swiss surnames’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.