Lost phone on the train from Zermatt to Visp

• Tegibson3
    Participant
    6 posts
    8 June 2022 at 10:41:34 #827450

Hi to anyone who can advise. I lost my iPhone on train from Zermatt to Visp on June 7 (yesterday). I have tried to get a loss report to SBB but wanted to see if there are any other options. I’m very concerned as travel docs and everything else is on the phone. I’m leaving Switzerland to go back to US on Friday and concerned I won’t get the phone back. Any suggestions???

Any advice appreciated!! ( using someone else’s phone right now)

thanks, Tina

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 June 2022 at 12:37:09 #943034

Hi Tina,

I am very sorry, that you’ve lost your phone. You should immediately contact SBB. Please have a look at this: http://www.sbb.ch/en/help-and-contact/lost-found-office/questions-answers-sbb-lost-found-office.html

Also call Zermatt train station: http://www.sbb.ch/en/station-services/at-the-station/railway-stations/station.1689.zermatt.html

Was the train going to Visp? Or was it traveling further? You should also call the ending station.

Do you have a travel insurance? Make sure to notice them too. They might ask for some paper.

I am afraid there is nothing much to do.

I hope you’ll find your phone soon.

Ildiko

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 June 2022 at 22:46:14 #943035

Zermatt – Visp is operated by MGB not SBB, so the best option would be to use the MGB lost property service:

http://www.matterhorngotthardbahn.ch/en/summer/railway-information/lost-property-service/

Olga
    Participant
    346 posts
    9 June 2022 at 6:58:43 #943036

It happened to my son – he dialed his own number (with someone else’s phone, of course…) and someone picked up. They made arrangements to meet and he got his phone back. It might be worth the try, you never know.

I hope you will get your phone back!

andrew
    Participant
    146 posts
    11 June 2022 at 15:35:29 #943037

HI,

I once left a camera lens on a Swiss train. It beat us back to our hotel.. We reported it at the a station who contacted the final destination. The lens was found and put on a train back to Spiez where we were staying. When it arrived there the SBB people rang our hotel who went to the station and collected it. SBB fee CHF10.

Now that’s service.

Andrew

Tegibson3
    Participant
    6 posts
    11 June 2022 at 16:48:15 #943038

Thank you for all your advice and comments about my phone. I am heartened by the success stories, in fact, was told by many people in Switzerland that it would probably show up. I am sorry to say that after significant effort it still has not been located. Among other things (calling it, trying to locate it through Apple, etc.), I put a report through the SBB lost and found and have spoken to them directly. I also put the report through to the MGB operator and no luck there either. It was a brand new iPhone 13 and unfortunately it may have been too much of a temptation to take and resell? I have just arrived back in the US and am still hoping it shows up, but at this point not expecting that to happen.

Obviously my advice is to keep your phone with you and keep rechecking you have it. I had briefly set it down while putting on my backpack, rushed off to get a connecting train and noticed immediately upon getting into the train to Bern that it was gone. But it was already too late. I’m mostly upset that so much of my personal information was on it as well as precious photos of my trip…

Switzerland was beautiful and otherwise we enjoyed our trip very much.

Thanks to all on this forum for your preplanning help!

Tina

Anna
    6274 posts
    11 June 2022 at 20:56:21 #943039

Hi Tina,

I’m sorry that you lost your brand new iPhone while on a trip to Switzerland. Did you try to locate it using the Find My iPhone function? I hope you’ll get some good news and hopefully get the phone back somehow.

Regards,

Anna

• The thread ‘Lost phone on the train from Zermatt to Visp’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.