Lötschental in Wallis

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 April 2010 at 1:28:06 #803781

Hi, we will be spending our holidays in the Bernese Oberland in September. Studying cards of Switzerland, and using Google Earth (what wonderful possibilities!) we found the Lötschental, in the canton of Wallis. Does any of you have experience in whether it is possible to travel to this valley and take a hike there, in one day, so that we can be back the same day? And what is the quickest and easiest way to get there?

Thank you.

Krister

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Wandermann
    Participant
    265 posts
    17 April 2010 at 6:57:41 #831120

Hello Krister, if you want to take your car this is a possibility: you drive to Kandersteg and put your car on the train to Goppenstein. You can stay in the car, the train will take you in about 15 minutes through the tunnel to Goppenstein, from where you will have to drive to Fafleralp. Here you can park your car. From there you can hike further into the Lötschental, you will hike in the direction of the glacier. Depending on the length of your hike it can be done in one day, but I suggest you leave early. I would certainly recommend this beautiful tour. It’s nice to hike your way to the glacier higher up on the left side of the valley, starting directly from the car park, and take your way back through the middle. Especially when the weather is nice you will certainly enjoy it very much!
    If you don’t want to use your car, you will have to take the train to Goppenstein (about 1,5 hrs. from Interlaken) en then take a PostBus to Faffleralp (about 1/2 hrs.). This option will probably take more time. You will find a time table here for the PostBus.

Some further information can be found here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 April 2010 at 10:26:37 #831121

Hello Krister,
    Wandermann just gave you the answer I would have given, I just want to add that I “did” the Lötschental from the Bernese Oberland more than once in one day. Those were long days, but worth our while! The Lötschental is something you don’t want to miss!

Have a beautiful hike there,

Thomas

• The thread ‘Lötschental in Wallis’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.