Lucerne to Lugano by Gotthard Panoramic Express

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 April 2018 at 17:20:08 #815562

Hi Friend

I want to visit lucerne to lugano one day round trip via Gothard panorama express.

I know first I have to take boat from lucerne to flulen and from there take this train.

I have searched a bit however unable to make out the cost n booking process.

I have bought 2nd class swiss pass for all my swiss travel.

Can i book 1st class Gothard panorama express with extra payment/some surcharge. Sites dont have very clear information on this.

Is it available on all days as I will be in lucerne on 15th june evening and would want to tk the train on 16th or 17th jun.

Once i reach lugano , can I return the same day back by normal train from Lugano directly to Lucern.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    27 April 2018 at 21:16:04 #883407

Hello Alka and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

Have a look at this thread http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/gotthard-panorama-express-day-trip.

Your Swiss Travel Pass will cover your ticket price. But you will need a Class upgrade ( buy at Luzern Station for half difference between 1st and 2nd class fares) for the train and boat if you want to access upper deck and dining room. Also need to buy Reservation for train which costs CHF24. See http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/successfully -reserved-gotthard-express-seat-on-sbb#hAcm86DW9mqS6v8AAF cRTQ and bit.ly/2EOvQIv.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 April 2018 at 18:36:20 #883408

Hi

thank you for your response. However I am still not able to find the upgrade option.

When I visit SBB option and select Fluelen to Lugano via Goschenen. It no where ask me if I am existing swiss pass holder and if I wish to upgrade to 1st class what are the charges and process. Is there a contact number for SBB where I can call and discuss and the proceed for booming.

I am feeling helpless and completely lost.

request your help.

thx

Alka

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    28 April 2018 at 20:14:16 #883409

Hello Alka,

If you want to buy an upgrade at SBB on-line then proceed as you described above but select “Half-fare Card” discount to ensure you get the correct upgrade price. You probably can’t buy the upgrade until 30 days or less from travel date.

If you are not confident about that then the easiest thing is to just go to a ticket counter at any station you happen to be passing through in Switzerland and buy the Class upgrade there. They are very helpful and will take the stress out of the process.

You can buy the upgrade anytime prior to stepping on the train.

Arno
    15484 posts
    1 May 2018 at 16:43:21 #883410

Hi Alka,

The train operates all days except Mondays. You’ll find a lot of details here: http://www.myswissalps.com/go tthardpanoramaexpress. Note that you’re not a SwissPass holder, but a Swiss Travel Pass holder. SwissPass is something different for Swiss residents, and it may cause confusion if you use that product name at a ticket desk.

Enjoy your trip!

• The thread ‘Lucerne to Lugano by Gotthard Panoramic Express’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11020 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.