Lucerne to Lugano by Gotthard Panoramic Express

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Alka132
Alka132
6 posts
Apr 27, 2018 - 5:20 PM

Hi Friend

I want to visit lucerne to lugano one day round trip via Gothard panorama express.

I know first I have to take boat from lucerne to flulen and from there take this train.

I have searched a bit however unable to make out the cost n booking process.

I have bought 2nd class swiss pass for all my swiss travel.

Can i book 1st class Gothard panorama express with extra payment/some surcharge. Sites dont have very clear information on this.

Is it available on all days as I will be in lucerne on 15th june evening and would want to tk the train on 16th or 17th jun.

Once i reach lugano , can I return the same day back by normal train from Lugano directly to Lucern.

rockoyster
rockoyster
4028 posts
expert
Apr 27, 2018 - 9:16 PM in reply to Alka132

Hello Alka and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

Have a look at this thread www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/gotthard-panorama-express-day-trip.

Your Swiss Travel Pass will cover your ticket price. But you will need a Class upgrade ( buy at Luzern Station for half difference between 1st and 2nd class fares) for the train and boat if you want to access upper deck and dining room. Also need to buy Reservation for train which costs CHF24. See www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/successfully -reserved-gotthard-express-seat-on-sbb#hAcm86DW9mqS6v8AAF cRTQ and bit.ly/2EOvQIv.

Alka132
Alka132
6 posts
Apr 28, 2018 - 6:36 PM

Hi

thank you for your response. However I am still not able to find the upgrade option.

When I visit SBB option and select Fluelen to Lugano via Goschenen. It no where ask me if I am existing swiss pass holder and if I wish to upgrade to 1st class what are the charges and process. Is there a contact number for SBB where I can call and discuss and the proceed for booming.

I am feeling helpless and completely lost.

request your help.

thx

Alka

rockoyster
rockoyster
4028 posts
expert
Apr 28, 2018 - 8:14 PM in reply to Alka132

Hello Alka,

If you want to buy an upgrade at SBB on-line then proceed as you described above but select “Half-fare Card” discount to ensure you get the correct upgrade price. You probably can’t buy the upgrade until 30 days or less from travel date.

If you are not confident about that then the easiest thing is to just go to a ticket counter at any station you happen to be passing through in Switzerland and buy the Class upgrade there. They are very helpful and will take the stress out of the process.

You can buy the upgrade anytime prior to stepping on the train.

Last modified on Apr 28, 2018 - 8:16 PM by rockoyster
Arno
Arno
11366 posts
expert &
May 1, 2018 - 4:43 PM

Hi Alka,

The train operates all days except Mondays. You'll find a lot of details here: www.myswissalps.com/go tthardpanoramaexpress. Note that you're not a SwissPass holder, but a Swiss Travel Pass holder. SwissPass is something different for Swiss residents, and it may cause confusion if you use that product name at a ticket desk.

Enjoy your trip!

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018