Lucern to Montreux by Golden Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 December 2019 at 6:57:16 #824593

Hello,

I would like your help to enquiry another sector. After looking through past weeks, I decided Lucern to Montreux is a better option. I am considering 27 January 2020 for this ride. I understand that Golden Pass Line will have Lucern to Interlaken, to Zweisimmen, to Montreux and plans to purchase the STP.

The sunset is at 530pm. I wish to arrive by 5pm before sunset. I wish to travel by classic train from Zweisimmen to Montreux. Interlaken to Zweisimmen will be first class. Lucern to Interlaken will be first class. We wish to have 30 minutes interval at both Interlaken station and Zweisimmen station so that we do not have to rush as we have a child travelling with us.

I would appreciate if you can help to recommend which train number should we book from Lucern to Interlaken, from Interlaken to Zweisimmen, and from Zweisimmen to Montreux.

We are Malaysian and this is our first trip to Switzerland. Would very much appreciate your recommendation on above.

Thank you

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 December 2019 at 7:05:38 #925998

Btw, I noted that Golden Pass Train number 4077 has direct classic train from Interlaken to Montreux? Is this correct? If I am wrong, please do help to recommend any possible direct classic train for this sector.

Many thanks.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    4 December 2019 at 8:46:23 #925999

Hello Susan,

There are no “direct” trains from Interlaken to Montreux. The gauge changes at Zweisimmen so you must change trains.

I am a big fan of the SBB Mobile app (bit.ly/2ICIUHi) for checking train, bus, boat and cable way timetables, finding fares* and buying tickets on-line if required. In the unlikely event you don’t have a device capable of running the app then you can use the timetable on the SBB website (bit.ly/2HH1U7B).

* The SBB website shows half-fare prices by default, the mobile app allows you to nominate whether to show full or half-fares (by editing the passenger details in settings) and is also smart enough to offer you the Saver Day Pass (http://www.myswissalps.com/sa verdaypass) if that offers the best fare. The app can also display a platform map (at least at the larger stations) to help you make connections. You can also easily filter modes of transport (eg bus or ship).

But I just realised you already know all that.

Look for connections involving the MOB Golden Pass Belle Époque.

You don’t need 30 minute connections; the normal connections are perfectly easy to make. The Golden Pass Train won’t leave Zweisimmen until all the people on the connecting train from Interlaken/Spiez have boarded. It is a very small station and it is a major tourist route.

You can make reservations for the Golden Pass Line (http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass) including seat selection at bit.ly/2kaq6Rf. Click the “e” for English language top right of the page. (where it says “Sprachwahl: d i f e”). Then change the class of travel, date of travel and start/end points to suit. Reservations are not compulsory but are recommended on the Zweisimmen to Montreux leg (which is where the Panoramic and Belle Époque trains operate) during peak tourist season.

It is always easier to answer questions if you reveal your overall itinerary rather than ask questions about specific routes out of that context.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 December 2019 at 14:10:29 #926000

Hi Susan siek,

if you are traveling with the Swiss Travel Pass, there is no need to buy tickets for the Golden Pass (unless you want 1st class with a 2nd class Swiss Travel Pass). You do not need seat reservations either, although reservations are recommended for some trains on the Montreux to Zweisimmen leg. You can book your seats at http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass/tickets.

To be sure to travel via the Golden Pass line, enter the via-stations Meiringen and Zweisimmen in the timetable (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable). Between Zweisimmen and Montreux, trains labeled IR or PE are the official Golden Pass trains.

If you want to arrive before sunset, you need to catch the train in Zweisimmen at 14:25, it arrives to Montreux at 16:13 (train number 2123). The next one arrives at 17:13 to Montreux and leaves Zweisimmen at 15:05.

You can buy your Swiss Travel Pass at http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/price.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 December 2019 at 15:07:35 #926001

Hi, I downloaded the app. When I select Luzern to Montreux, it only came out this options on 27/1/2020. There’s no connection through Interlaken and Zweisimmen. Please see attached.

CabinJon
    Participant
    280 posts
    4 December 2019 at 15:40:10 #926002

I have some extra time this morning so I checked the route on the SBB timetable. For example, on Jan 27, you can catch a 10::00 train from Lucerne to Bern, a 11:06 train from Bern to Spiez, a 11:38 train from Spiez to Zweissimmen, and a 12:25 train from Zweissimmen getting into Montreux at 14:13.

Did you add a “Via” point of Zweissimmen when you checked the Luzern to Montreux trains?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 December 2019 at 15:41:15 #926003

Is it convenient for us, 3 person to go ourselves to Mount Titlis mountain top? And also Jungfrau Koch? Can we use the STP to these places?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 December 2019 at 15:41:47 #926004

Thank you, appreciate it.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 December 2019 at 15:42:42 #926005

Thank you

CabinJon
    Participant
    280 posts
    4 December 2019 at 16:11:41 #926006

Mt. Titlis is easy to get to from Lucerne. 43 minute train ride to Engelberg, then 2 gondolas to the top. The train to Engelberg is covered under the Swiss Travel Pass, the gondolas are discounted 50%.

Getting to the Jungfraujoch takes much longer, close to 4 hours. The trains to Interlaken OST, then to either Lauterbrunnen or Grindelwald are covered under the STP. The cogwheel trains from either Lauterbrunnen or Grindelwald to Kleine Scheidegg are discounted 25%. I’m not sure what the discount is for the final Jungfraujoch train that departs from the Kleine Scheidegg station.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 December 2019 at 19:48:18 #926007

Hi Susan siek,

you can check the validity of the Swiss Travel Pass at http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity. Make sure to download the map and browse the list.

To Titlis: just as CabinJon wrote you; free to Engelberg, then 50% of by the cable car

To Jungfraujoch: train to Grindelwald or Wengen is for free, from there to Jungfraujoch 25% off.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    4 December 2019 at 19:56:16 #926008

To follow the Golden Pass route you need to search the SBB app looking for Luzern to Montreux via Interlaken and Zweisimmen. The app will always show the fastest, most direct routes unless you tell it you want to go a longer way round by including other stations to go VIA.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 December 2019 at 2:38:49 #926009

Thank you very much.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 December 2019 at 2:39:27 #926010

Thank you.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 December 2019 at 2:39:47 #926011

Thank you.

• The thread ‘Lucern to Montreux by Golden Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.