Lucerne to Paris by train

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 July 2016 at 19:07:38 #809712

Hi

can you let me know. I am having trouble getting rail from Interlaken to Lucerne and then Lucerne to paris.

1. Train from lucern to paris say it stops four time.. is there better to take this from Geneva.

2. Also I am spending two days in Interlaken and two days in Lucerne. when we depart Interlaken, is there golden pass line we can take to lucern..

3. Is it worth getting swiss family card for 2 adult and 2 child if I am going from Geneva to Interlaken to Lucerne to paris..

4. Also when going from lucern to Interlaken, does swiss family pass cover trip to basel and Strasbourg-Roethig

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    19 July 2016 at 8:26:51 #854315

Hi zdiko,

1. If you’re in Lucerne the quickest route to Paris is via Basel, not Geneva. You only have to change trains in Basel.

2. Yes, all direct trains from Interlaken Ost to Lucerne follow the Golden Pass line: http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass.

3. The Swiss Family Card is a free add-on to the Swiss Travel Pass. A 4-day Swiss Travel Pass does make sense for a 4-day trip. Whether this is the best choice depends on all of your trips combined, including day trips from Interlaken and Lucerne. You can do the math if you want:

4. The Swiss Travel Pass covers Switzerland, so Basel is included but Strasbourg is not. Please find details on the map: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 July 2016 at 16:03:45 #854316

Thank you so much for your help. You guys are providing some excellent help to all of us..

one more question. do we have to buy the ticket to top of Europe (jangfourch mountain) ticket in advanced or can we get it there. I am going to have swiss family pass so do we will get 25% off for the adult but do we have to pay for child?

also do we have to buy swiss family pass here or can we buy it at the station.. only reason of buying it there if something changes in plan..

Arno
    15471 posts
    19 July 2016 at 17:50:51 #854317

Hi zdiko,

You can get the ticket to Jungfraujoch locally or in advance, please see myswissalps.com/ jungfraujoch/ tickets.

Note that a “Swiss Family Pass” does not exist. It is called the Swiss Family Card, and you can’t buy it. You can buy Swiss Travel Passes for the adults, and request for the free Swiss Family Card as an add on product. To do so, please visit http://www.swissrailways.com/ en. After selecting the number of travelers and filling out your address, they will show the delivery options. Pick “Online Ticket” from the bottom of the list. They will e-mail the pass (no delivery fees), so you can print it at home. This is the easiest way and prevents waiting at the ticket window to get the pass. If you’re not sure about the first travel day of your pass, you can also buy it at the station. Be sure to visit a staffed train station during opening hours and bring all travelers and all their passports.

If I understand correctly you would also need tickets from Basel to Paris: myswissalps.com/ traintickets/ france.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 July 2016 at 19:36:12 #854318

thank you.

if I am to take train to Lucerne to basse sbb (TIME??).. then bassel to paris at 10:30am. Can you suggest what time I should be at the train station in basel.. I am trying to see how early should I take the train from lucern to basel.. How much time does it take and is it like airport security. do I need to be there few hours before ,etc..

thanks in advanced

Arno
    15471 posts
    20 July 2016 at 20:28:14 #854319

Hi zdiko,

The train departs 10:34. You can take the 8:54 train from Lucerne, which wil give you 39 minutes to change in Basel. That’s much more than you need as all checks wil be done on board. You can also take the 9:05 train, but you’ll have to change one more time. Be sure to verify all of this for your travel date, using the timetable.

Enjoy the trip!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 July 2016 at 20:17:16 #854320

for point to point ticket do I have to buy children ticket or just adult ticket.. I thought children are free but when I try to book in sbb site they are charging.

Arno
    15471 posts
    22 July 2016 at 20:37:46 #854321

Hi zdiko,

You don’t need to book anything on the SBB site as you will have a pass for you and your children. You only need to book the French leg of the trip: please see the Price tab of the page I mentioned in my July 20 post.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 July 2016 at 21:24:00 #854322

Hi

I will not have pass since I am only buying four day pass from aug1 to aug4 and I need to travel to paris from lucern on aug 5. So my understanding is I need to book one way ticket from lucern to bassel for 2 adult but I am not sure if I need ticket for children..

Arno
    15471 posts
    23 July 2016 at 14:47:09 #854323

Hi zdiko,

Children up to 5 years old do not need tickets in Switzerland. Children up to 15 get a 50% discount. I don’t know about France. The websites listed on myswissalps.com/ traintickets/france/ price offer the correct tickets for Basel – Paris, or perhaps even for the entire route Lucerne – Paris. Just enter the travelers ages and they’ll show the options. The SBB site may sell this as well. If you only buy the Basel to Paris leg you can buy the Lucerne to Basel leg in Lucerne. These tickets don’t book out.

• The thread ‘Lucerne to Paris by train’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.