Lucerne & Zermatt hotel suggestions for February

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 January 2019 at 3:05:59 #819634

Hi all,

I have gotten great advice here on planning and transport just need help picking right hotel. Pictures are very deceiving so I hope anyone can give the real deal on these options. All have somewhat mixed reviews so I’m feeling like it’s a toss up. We will be doing trips from Luzern so I want to able to relax also I didn’t see breakfast was included in any of these hotels which is weird.

Luzern – 4 nights (should be close to some easy access to trains and in a nice area

1. Hotel des Balances (like close to station but looks very basic no frills like free wifi)
    2. Hotel Schweizerhof Luzern (location seems to be good but rooms look dated?)

Zermatt (2nights) – all pretty pricey but will be there for anniversary so want a kinda romantic modern breakfast included with a bar to hangout if we want a nightcap. Easy access to get back to train station as we are only there for 3dys, 2nights. We are not skiers and I can’t tell if these are way up a mountain or just slightly above the village. I think its okay if its slightly above the village but not way up a mountain and its not easy to get in or out.

1. Omnia
    2. Europe Hotel & Spa
    3. Cervin
    4. Cervo

Thanks all

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    28 January 2019 at 8:46:02 #902931

Hi Kelly,

I added links to your post where you can see a map with the location and prices. The two in Lucerne book look fine to me. Both in the historical city center, both get good reviews. The ones in Zermatt are also fine hotels with good reviews. The Cervo is in the outskirts of town on a slope. Doable, but if a central location is important to you the other ones are better. The Mont Cervin Palace is in the center of town.

Breakfast normally is included, but there can be exceptions for the lowest rates. Clicking through to the price details should reveal the details. Sometimes it’s “Breakfast available, pay at the property”, for example. I usually book with breakfast included as I don’t fancy looking for breakfast elsewhere.

If you need more hotel suggestions you can find them here:

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 January 2019 at 21:52:31 #902932

Hi,

Ceevo is then not a good fit.

Thank you so very much great help will look at those links you sent

cam223
    Participant
    97 posts
    29 January 2019 at 14:53:12 #902933

Zermatt is a small town. We stayed in a rental above the Omnia. Have you tried any rentals? Ours was luxurious. Great food at the Omnia and Cervo. You can take the “bubbles” or cable cars up to the Klein Matterhorn and the comfortable train up to the Gornergrat. Some in our party didn’t ski and had plenty of time to walk around the village, shop and just enjoy the atmosphere. They joined the skiers for lunch. Have fun!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 January 2019 at 20:59:12 #902934

Thanks for the idea of rentals but, don’t want to make our own food. Want a full service hotel in the center of town or near as we will be just staying for 2 nights and catching early train back to Geneva to catch our flight back home the next day. So we need a centralized location but a nice place it is our anniversary and we don’t ski a Matterhorn view would be stellar.

Separately, can someone please advise how i should enter route to Geneva from Zermatt. It ask VISP etc

Thank you

Arno
    15484 posts
    30 January 2019 at 7:53:42 #902935

Hi Kelly,

Do you have an issue getting the train schedules from Geneva to Zermatt? In the timetable at http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable, you can simply enter “Geneva” or “Geneva airport” to “Zermatt”.

Danielsan
    Participant
    634 posts
    30 January 2019 at 19:25:34 #902936

Hi Kelly40,

I stayed at a hotel called Welschen. I had a Matterhorn view from my balcony and my bed. (Didn’t even have to get up, except to open the curtain..) Fantastic hotel with breakfast included. Charming hotel and staff, couldn’t be nicer. Less than a ten-minute walk from the train station, if they even allow you to walk. I chose it because it advertised “Matterhorn view”. Not “Mountain view”, but Matterhorn. No night club there, but it’s Zermatt. The whole of the village is within a ten-minute walk, 15 , tops. (Perhaps longer in the winter due to snow on the ground). I assume you’ll be going in winter based on your saying that you folks don’t ski. Zermatt is a beautiful village any time of year. There must be several hundred hotels there, but I will be going back to this one come September. I’m already in communication with Sandra there. As far as Lucerne is concerned, there is a slew of hotels on the river-front, just steps from the Chapel bridge. I stayed at Hotel des Alpes, which I believe is a few doors down from des Balances. The area is great. I had a room facing the back streets, but it didn’t matter because I spent little time in it. If you want river view, it is going to cost more, obviously. It also did have breakfast included. Hope you find one that suits you. Happy trails.

Danielsan

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 January 2019 at 2:37:20 #902937

Thank you for your reply.

So we are booked for the The Cervin Palace in Zermatt. Hopefully its not to noisy but, we are giving a little to be close to the center and not that far from the train station as we must catch a 8:30 train to Geneva.

We are waiting to hear back from Les Balances Hotel in Luzern. Per previous posts here, just wanted to ensure the price of the room included breakfast it didn’t seem clear to me in the price. A lot complaints about the noise in the center of town hotels and sounds like it can be very busy. Can you provide some honest description how the area is around the Balances Hotel? We are and older couple so we tend to do an early dinner and get back to the hotel to relax so were are refreshed for our next day exploring.

Thanks

Arno
    15484 posts
    31 January 2019 at 13:10:34 #902938

Hi Kelly,

Des Balances in Lucerne is in the heart of town with restaurants etc. at your doorstep. Places like that can indeed be noisy at night, but hard to predict. Weekends and holidays are riskier, and whether it is a problem inside depends on the building too. Other than that the location is very convenient for exploring and having dinner.

Danielsan
    Participant
    634 posts
    1 February 2019 at 16:59:27 #902939

Hi Kelly,

I don’t honestly believe it was that noisy around the riverfront area at night. The whole area in front of the hotels is lined from one end to the other with tables and umbrellas on both sides of the walkway. Basically, it is like walking down one very long, fairly-wide cobblestone aisle with the tables on either side. One side the river, the other side, the hotels themselves. It is a great place to walk around and sit and enjoy the sights with either a meal, cocktails, coffee, or all the above. As far as I recall, they start breaking down the tables around 10pm. After that is seemed pretty quiet to me. As Arno said, one can’t predict the noise, and anything can happen (kind of like the weather) but I don’t believe you should have a problem. I happen to absolutely love it there. Great city to walk around in and enjoy the charm of the old city. Small but a very bustling city central to a lot of things. Enjoy.

Danielsan

• The thread ‘Lucerne & Zermatt hotel suggestions for February’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.