Lucerne and Geneva room rates

• Bobaishford
    Participant
    19 posts
    25 November 2021 at 15:18:46 #826320

I am planning a 2 week trip in Switzerland in mid May 2022. I have had some reservation as an example in Luzern and Geneva for a few months now. As I now have some definate dates for my itinerary, when I look at rebooking (with free cancelation) I see room rates have increased drastically!! Why is this?

Does it make sense to stay in Montreux or Lausanne for 4 or 5 days and use our rail pass to do day trips into Geneva and sorrounding areas. If so, would you recomend Montreux or Lausanne as a base?

Thanks,

Bob

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6382 posts
    26 November 2021 at 7:08:10 #937652

Hi Bob,

The price increase probably means that demands for rooms on those dates have increased as well.

I think Montreux would be a good base for exploring the Geneva and surrounding areas. It’s also ideal for day trips on the Golden Pass and to Zermatt. Lausanne is a larger city, has more shops and restaurants and might offer more hotel and rental options.

Regards,

Anna

Bobaishford
    Participant
    19 posts
    26 November 2021 at 21:26:13 #937653

Thanks Anna. I understand and appreciate how hotels, restaurants and more have suffered a terrible loss of income during the pandemic.

However. I have 2 nights booked in Geneva (that I now have to change the dates) for a total cost of $268 Canadian dollars. I just went to the Booking.com web site to add a third night and the cost was $472 for one additional night.

In my original booking I am paying $134 a night, and now the rate is $472.

This seems excess to me and now I am considering Montreau or Lausanne and using my rail pass for day trips.

Thanks for all the wonderful advise you continue to post.

Bob

Anna
    6382 posts
    27 November 2021 at 8:26:07 #937654

Hi Bob,

The cost of an additional night doesn’t make sense to me too. I think it would be best to contact the hotel directly and ask for a clarification.

Bobaishford
    Participant
    19 posts
    27 November 2021 at 13:52:52 #937655

Thanks Anna.

Your response makes sense.

Bob

Danielsan
    Participant
    634 posts
    28 November 2021 at 3:34:08 #937656

Hi Bob,

Try booking a room for three nights and see how you make out. Instead of adding a night, just try seeing rates for 3 nights. If that works, just cancel the one you have.

Danielsan

Bobaishford
    Participant
    19 posts
    28 November 2021 at 13:28:56 #937657

Thanks everybody for your replies.

I contacted the hotel in Geneva and they said there is a fair in town in late May when I want to visit so they feel justified increasing the hightly rate from $134 to $432.

I like the idea of taking the train into Geneva and still trying to decide on either Montreux or Laussane as a base for 5 nights.

Bob

Annika
    7121 posts
    28 November 2021 at 13:40:50 #937658

Hi Bob,

Good that you found the reason for this price increase. Lausanne and Montreux are both great base towns to explore Geneva and many other great destinations in the Lake Geneva area (https://www.myswissalps.com/lakegeneva). You can compare them here:

Lausanne is closer to Geneva (https://www.myswissalps.com/timetable). That may be a decisive factor for you, if Geneva is your main interest.

Bobaishford
    Participant
    19 posts
    28 November 2021 at 14:10:18 #937659

On my way from Lucern to the Montreaux area I want to go through Grindelwald and spend 3 nights up in Murren. After that on to Montreux.

Can I enjoy the Golden Pass railway on this route?

Thanks,

Bob

Annika
    7121 posts
    28 November 2021 at 14:44:15 #937660

Hi Bob!
    That’s definitely possible. You can enjoy section 1 when traveling from Lucerne to Mürren/Grindelwald via Interlaken Ost, and section 2-3 when traveling from Mürren to Montreux. Please find the route explained at http://www.myswissalps.com/goldenpass/gettingthere. The timetable allows you to plan each trip: http://www.myswissalps.com/timetable.

Bobaishford
    Participant
    19 posts
    28 November 2021 at 14:51:26 #937661

Thanks Annika, Very helpful info.

While I have your attention, I want to take the train from the Montreux area to Ascona for 4 nights and finally on the Verona Italy.

Any advise please for the best train routes and what to see for this part of our Swiss holiday – mid May 2022.

Thanks again,

Bob

Anna
    6382 posts
    29 November 2021 at 5:59:08 #937662

Hi Bob,

To get to Ascona from Montreux, you can travel via Brig on the Centovalli Railway to Locarno and then change to the local train to Ascona. Please use the timetable to plan your journeys. For more information about tickets and trains to Italy, see here: https://www.myswissalps.com/traintickets/italy

Regards,

Anna

StevefromHou
    Participant
    148 posts
    29 November 2021 at 18:43:51 #937663

Hello Bob,

I saw that you are trying to decide on staying either in Montreux or Lausanne. I have never been to Lausanne but have been to Montreux 3 or 4 times. I really like Montreux and my favorite hotel is directly across the street from the train station. Check out the Grand Hotel Suisse Majestic, Autograph collection. The prices are a little high normally but maybe you can find a deal.

There is a connection to the music group Queen and Montreux and they have a statue of Freddie Mercury down on the waterfront.

I have taken the Chocolate train a couple times, nice train ride out to Gruyere (Cheese factory) and a chocolate factory.

Enjoy!

Steve

Bobaishford
    Participant
    19 posts
    29 November 2021 at 19:11:38 #937664

Great suggestions Steve.

Thanks for your post.

Bob

• The thread ‘Lucerne and Geneva room rates’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.