Lucerne area self catering reasonable 3 nights

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 May 2017 at 19:35:46 #811667

Hi,

looking for for a place to stay in or around Lucerne that has some sort of self catering. Even just a fridge would do. Doesn’t have to be in Lucerne but places we would like to visit (September 12-15/16) would be Rigi, pilatus, Titlus and Rhine Falls as well as Lucerne itself. Things we don’t see we will try to see on our couple days at the end of out trip when we stay closer to Zurich for departure (a trip to Prague is between these two times-flying in/out of Zurich). I would like something reasonable in price. Lucerne seems to be a lot more expensive then the Interlaken region where we will spend the most of our time (would stay all in one place but that would mean a lot of long trips as we want to visit Chillion and or guyere as well). What I have found seems to be almost as expensive for 3 nights as 6 in my other location. For the 3 nights I am looking at a max of 300 Chf which may not be possible. If not I may have to suck it up and spend the time in The Interlaken region and travel. Hostel would work but it would have to be a private room for us as my mom didn’t like sharing a room with other people when we were in Australia and I also had a bad experience. I have looked on booking.com and the chalet apartment link on this website but haven’t found anything suitable.

Julie

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    4 May 2017 at 13:48:08 #862746

Hi Julie,

CHF 100 per night is a real challenge if you don’t want a shared room or shared bathroom. I found a few options but they are all more expensive than that:

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 May 2017 at 16:06:12 #862747

Hi,

a shared bathroom is fine I heard that is common in Europe. I e just had several experiences where female only dorms turned into mixed dorms at night and my mom is 70 she doesn’t want to deal with stuff like that. I’ll have a look at what you posted thanks.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 May 2017 at 22:33:04 #862748

Thanks Arno! Your links were good luck. I was able to book a copy hostels close to what I was hoping to spend. Private room with shared bath and I believ one may have its own shower. I booked a few as they can all be cancelled for free and I have a few months to decide. Any opinions on the hostels I was able to book?

Luzern Youth Hostel- we are travelling all public transport so this may be a bit far from that. Also the most expensive.

Hostel Lion Lodge- it seems to come with its own shower but not sure. Cheaper overall by a little bit.

Backpackers Luzern- not sure if the second and third are within 10 minutes of public transport?

we are looking for clean and safe. We will sleep here and plan to have most of out meals prepared here (like lunch to go).

we also have valley hostel in Lauterburnen is that okay and walkable to public transport.

Any ideas of places other then Luzern for our days at the end of out trip Sept 28-Oct 1/17 (flying out and in on those days). If weather okay will try to do a mountain top we missed, go to Rhine Falls see Zurich/Bern/Basel. Depends on what the weather was at the beginning of our trip. We will do things we missed in the first few days.

Thanks for any advice given. This sight, my own posts and reading the daily forum updates I get has really helped with my trip

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 May 2017 at 9:30:16 #862749

Hi Julie,

Luzern Youth Hostel – 5 minute walk to a bus stop so no issue there with using public transit
    Hostel Lion Lodge– There is a double room with a private shower..not sure if that is what you booked. It is right in downtown essentially.
    Backpackers Luzern– 10-12 minute walk to the train station and close to the lake.

valley hostel in Lauterbrunnen – 3 to 5 minute walk to the train station – can’t get much better!

I think all hostels will be ok with you as long as you have the private room. As long as you know what to expect from a hostel and I think you do.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 May 2017 at 10:34:01 #862750

We have friends that stayed at the hostel in Lauterbrunnen and were very happy with it.

OhGeologist

• The thread ‘Lucerne area self catering reasonable 3 nights’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.