Snowboarding & hiking near Luzern in March

Snowboarding & hiking near Luzern in March

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Smejkal1992
Smejkal1992
3 posts
Nov 13, 2017 - 12:41 PM

I will be in Lucerne March 9-18. I am wanting to do day trip mountain hikes, and try my hand at snowboarding. What are good day hike trails close by or easy by train to get too? My previous experience is hiking up Mt Rainer in Washington state. Also is there local places I can remt snowboard gear and do begineer slopes?

Lucas
Lucas
8915 posts
expert &
Nov 13, 2017 - 6:02 PM in reply to Smejkal1992

Hi Smejkal1992 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

For starting snowboarding near Luzern Mt. Rigi might be a good idea for you to look at.
Hiking trails will be limited at that time of year due to snow levels. Perhaps snowshoeing?

Snowboard rentals can be done at any mountain or in Luzern if you prefer - here is some shops to look at in Luzern.

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
5010 posts
expert
Nov 15, 2017 - 7:58 AM in reply to Smejkal1992

Hi Smejkal1992-

Lucas is certainly correct about hiking trails being limited in the mountains.

Portions of this trail may be free of snow:

www.schweizmobil.ch/en /hiking-in-switzerland/routes/eta ppe-01447.html

This link gets you to one stage of the Swiss Path ( der Weg Der Schweiz).

It goes around the southern part of Lake Lucerne. Use the lins on that page to follow it around. Note that you can get altitude profiles.

By the way, that website - Switzerland Mobility - is full of information about hiking, biking, canoeing, all kinds of personal transportation. However, I always struggle to make it do what I want. You might have fun poking around in it.

From your experience, you will realize the importance of altitude. At low altitudes on sunny south- and west-facing areas, the weather will be warmer than at high altitudes. One place meeting that description is Weggis, at the foot of the cableway up to the Rigi. It is certainly not in the mountains....it is at the foot of one. ;-)

Another place that can have warmer weather is the region around Montreux and the northern and eastern part of Lake Geneva... a bit distant from Luzern, but reachable by train in a a couple of hours +/-.

www.myswissalps.com/so uthwestswitzerland

www.myswissalps.com/mo ntreux

This very detailed map will give you a sense of altitudes.

In the menu, you can turn on "Hiking Trails."

map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=ech&lang=en&bgLa yer=ch.swisstopo.pixel karte-farbe&layers=ch.bav.ha ltestellen-oev,ch.swisstopo.swiss tlm3d-wanderwege&layers_visi bility=false,false&E=2 673483.73&N=1208311.81 &zoom=4

For reference-

www.alpenwild.com/stat icpage/trail-signs-in-the-swiss-alps/

I suspect that Titlis might have snowboarding, but I don't know for certain:

www.myswissalps.com/ti tlis

It is easily accessible from Luzern.

The Bernese Oberland, and the Jungfrau Region in particular, are full of snow activities in March. Some high altitude rails are groomed for hiking/walking in the Winter, but I don't know if that service extends to March.

www.myswissalps.com/be rneseoberland

They are about a 2 -3 hour train ride from Luzern.

This timetable will help you understand the times of travel:

www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Slowpoke

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018