Lucerne & Interlaken 5 day trip: What can we see

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 April 2018 at 1:14:34 #881812

>> Titlis, Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn are all high enough that the snow never goes away.

There is no permanent snow on the Schilthorn in summer 🙂

However, you can see snow on some of the higher surrounding peaks. An out-of-season snowfall on the Schilthorn couldn’t be ruled out, but would probably melt away before long.

The Schilthorn is at an altitude of 2,970 metres, compared with 3,466 metres for the Jungfraujoch and 3,238 for Titlis.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 April 2018 at 6:54:31 #881813

Oh thanks 😉 Haven’t been there in the summer and thought at that height I could get away with my statement! 🙂 Funny how a couple hundred meters can make all the difference!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 April 2018 at 9:14:57 #881814

Thank you Lucas and Alpenrose

No worries, will get around there. It will be exciting of course.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 April 2018 at 0:55:26 #881815

Hello experts

I need with visiting Rhine falls from Lucerne

1. On one of the day at lucerne , starting from early morning I planned to visit Mount Pilatus OR Mount Titlis. And from the after noon around 2 pm , would it be possible to visit Rhine falls and come back to Lucerne by night. Please help me with this. (train journey from Lucerne to Zurich takes around 2 hours).

2. During my visit to Schilthorn : There are two options to reach Schilthorn, one way is taking Funicular from Lauterbrunnen to Grutschalp. And then take train from Grutschalp to Murren. I heard the you need to walk through Murren village before taking the cable car to Brig to Schilthorn. How far is this walking distance. Can we travel with 6 and 3 year old kids. Please suggest ?

3. Bus from Stechelberg to Lauterbrunnen: On the way back to from Stechelberg to Lauterbrunnen , can we get off to see the Trümmelbach water Falls on the way and take the next bus to Lauterbrunnen. Please suggest the alternatives.

Thanks

Jadesh

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    24 April 2018 at 1:05:55 #881816

1. I wouldn’t plan to do Rhine Falls from Lucerne if you only intend to leave by 2:00pm. You are looking at 5 to 6 hours travel time (depending on connections) not counting time spent at the Falls.

2. It’s a cable car from Lauterbrunneb to Grütschalp then train to Mürren. The train station is about 500m from the Schilthorn Cable Car station. It is a pleasant, scenic and level walk through the village.

2.Yes.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 May 2018 at 14:03:34 #881817

Hello All

I need a suggestion on the following plan

Altogether my family, will leave the Luzern at 8 AM by Goldenpassline and will arrive at Interlaken by 10 AM, After check-in into hotel, I am thinking of taking next train (around 10.30 to 11 AM) to continue our journey to Montreux. Our intension is to travel along the scenic train from Interlaken to Montreux and then back to Interlaken by later in the evening. We may not much time in Montreux.

Please suggest, is it possible cover this trip, How long does it takes from Interlaken to Montreux and back to Interlaken.

Thanks

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 May 2018 at 14:28:19 #881818

Hi Jadesh,

From Interlaken to Montreux via the Golden Pass line will take you 3h5 min. Use the Swiss railways timetable: http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable and don’t forget to put Zweisimmen in the via box.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 May 2018 at 14:53:31 #881819

Thank you Chantal, for the quick respons

1. So, it takes around 3 hours (one way), So we can make it right ? , I am very excited, I do not want miss this. As per the previous postings, seat reservation is not needed for the whole journey ?, And we have Eurail pass, so our journey is fully covered ?, So simply board the train on the go correct ?

2. On the nextday and the following day, we planned for Jurngfraou and Schilthorn separately. Will start journey to these mountains early in the day. After returning back to Interlaken, I hope that we will back to interlaken by 3 to 4 PM. Will it be possible to go on Boat ride on THUN and BRIENZ on separate day.

3. http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable, Timetable board in this website is not legible to see the details, Is there any PDF file format for this timetable

Thank you

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 May 2018 at 15:13:51 #881820
    1. Yes to all your questions.
    2. You will have to make it a very early morning in order to be able to be back at Interlaken at 4pm. I don’t know the boat schedules by heart, but the timetable will tell you what time the boat is leaving. Not sure what date you’re planning to do this, but I checked June 15 and the last boat is leaving at 15:40.
    3. It should be visible. If you’re using a mobile phone, please scroll down until you see the SBB CFF FFS logo, then fill in the fields.
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 May 2018 at 23:42:03 #881821

Thank you Chantal, thats wonderful information.

2. I got the boatride Timetable from this website: http://www.giessbach.ch/en/la ke-brienz-boat-schedule.html

Thank you, Have good weekend.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 May 2018 at 5:24:55 #881822

Hello everyone

Please suggest me for the following journey:

1. On 26th June, from Interlaken, we planned to visit Jungfraou. We would like explore both ways (Lauterbrunnen and Grindelwald). If I take round trip ticket, will it allow us get down at wengen and take the next train to Kleine Scheidegg. And while returning from Jungfraou, getting down at Alpiglen, Grindelwald. Please suggest .

2. If there is Snow-fun activities around Wengen or Jungfraou or Gridelwald, Do I need to purchase the ticket at Interlaken or these tickets can be purchased there on the respective sites.

Regards

Jadesh

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 May 2018 at 17:19:26 #881823

Hi Jadesh,

1. Yes, you can get off the train as you please
    2. There is a now park on Jungfraujoch: https://www.jungfrau.c h/en-gb/jungfraujoch-top-of-europe/snow-fun-park/ There won’t be any snow at Grindelwald or Wengen at that time of year.
Viewing 12 posts - 21 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • The thread ‘Lucerne & Interlaken 5 day trip: What can we see’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.